Super Gold Card or Not?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
robheaton
Site Admin

Super Gold Card or Not?

Post by robheaton »

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Super Gold Card, I currently use a Gold Card but can't decide if it's worth the upgrade cost?

I spend most of my QL time tinkering with C and playing text adventures.

What do you peeps think? Is it worth it?

Cheers,
Rob.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Super Gold Card or Not?

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I toyed with the idea, however for me I spend much too much collecting stuff without using it fully, also I jump across the emulators as well, so for me, unless it was half the price it seems to be then nope.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Mr_Navigator wrote:I toyed with the idea, however for me I spend much too much collecting stuff without using it fully, also I jump across the emulators as well, so for me, unless it was half the price it seems to be then nope.
I have exact same issue!
I'm not convinced I've ever pushed or used the Gold Card to it's full potential. Plus Vanpeebles found that software ran too fast & ended up buying a Gold Card!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

After trying a few slow mo programs (incase anyone thinks I'm crazy!) :oops:

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Well I might be biased (as I have the Super Gold Cards...), but the main thing which annoyed me about the Gold Card was the double boot screen, which takes an age compared to the SGC.

For software development, you want a QL as fast as possible - however, with emulators to do the development, you are actually better testing software on a minimal QL if possible - even the Trump Card speeds up the original.

Unless you are going to use the 68020 routines to squeeze extra out of the QL, or want to run something like QWord (of course you then need an Aurora), it is probably hard to justify the cost of upgrading from a Gold Card.