Keyboard Interface problem

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Keyboard Interface problem

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Minerva Utility disk is located in the QL ROMS Section.

Or use this link:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/qlrom/min198utils.zip

The files in the ZIP file has had a QDOS device ram3_ included, so just be careful how you unzip the file.

Really the person who created the zip file did not understand how to create zip files.

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Ah yes, sorry, I've just noticed the ABC_kbd_rom file in that zip. Hmmm, well in that case I suppose I could install Minerva in the main slot of the ABC interface and then another chip in the 2nd slot containing that very amount of data so that it runs afterwards. To my basic understanding, that sounds feasible.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I would think that Minerva is located on the QL board and the ABC rom file from the Minerva disk is programmed into an eprom and replaces the existing eprom on the ABC Interface.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Nah. You can't use both the internal ROM sockets and the one on the interface. The main ROM socket on the keyboard interfaces replaces the QL's ROMs and is wired for address 0 - This is where Minerva needs to go.

The file ABC_kbd_bin is an LRESPRable version of the ABC_kbd_rom file. You can either LRESPR the former from disk or put the latter to somewhere in the ROM slot area - the second socket on the interface might work, don't know how that's wired.

LRESPRing the driver has the advantage that you can choose which keyboard to use simply by two different boot disks.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

tofro wrote:Nah. You can't use both the internal ROM sockets and the one on the interface. The main ROM socket on the keyboard interfaces replaces the QL's ROMs and is wired for address 0 - This is where Minerva needs to go.
Yes, that was my understanding. I'll try it first with a Minerva in the k/b main position and then LRESPR the other bit of code. The English instructions about the other ROM socket don't seem to be all that well translated!

(p5 here http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/ql ... erface.pdf)

Is there an original German version of the doc available somewhere?

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi Chris,

sorry for brinning up this one year old topic.
Did you find a solution for this issue? Means remove the Rom from the Keyboard interface, put-in the Minerva Rom to the Mainboard and LRespr the driver for the Keyboard?

Did you try the Interface with the Goldcard? For my it seems to work but need to boot 2-3 times until I get a response from F1 / F2 Key.

Best regards,

Stephan

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Maskenlos wrote:Hi Chris,

sorry for brinning up this one year old topic.
Did you find a solution for this issue? Means remove the Rom from the Keyboard interface, put-in the Minerva Rom to the Mainboard and LRespr the driver for the Keyboard?

Did you try the Interface with the Goldcard? For my it seems to work but need to boot 2-3 times until I get a response from F1 / F2 Key.

Best regards,

Stephan
No, in the end I managed to find a Di-Ren interface which connects to the ZX8301 chip and has nothing to do with the ROM sockets/space. It also has the advantage of providing an AT k/b connection instead of the older, harder to find XT type.

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Doe someone know whether there is a way t switch to Germany k/b layout?
I did not use the Interface for more than 10 years and I can not recall. The manual does not mentioned any way.

Best regards & Merry Christmas

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Found it by myself "Alt" + "Prt Scr"

Stephan

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Dear all,

I would like to kindly ask for some support here to get my new set-up running. So far what worked:

Standard QL with GC 3 and ABC KBD with the ABC KB Eprom in its socked and the QL-Roms removed. This works!

My new Set-up:

1. Put Minerva + TK2 Rom into the QLs left rom socket (thanks Chris)
2. removed Eprom from ABC - KBD interface
3. GC present

The QL works as expected, Minerva ROM and TK2 is present QL Keyboard works as well. So far so good.

I Lrespr the driver mentioned above (ABC_KBD_BIN). This works, new keyword "KBD_HOT" is available, thus I am pretty sure the driver is well loaded. But the external Keyboard is not working at all.

Does anyone has any idea how to get this working?

Thanks and best regards,

Stephan