Replacements for Zx8301 / Zx 8302 / IPC

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Ruptor
Gold Card

Re: Replacements for Zx8301 / Zx 8302 / IPC

Post by Ruptor »

Pr0f wrote:I could try
Sorry my memory fails me I thought PS/2 was just an asynchronous serial connection. :oops: This page describes it well for keyboard & mouse as a clock and data system at 10 to 16K Hz clock rate.
https://www.avrfreaks.net/sites/default ... yboard.pdf

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Ruptor wrote:
Pr0f wrote:I could try
Sorry my memory fails me I thought PS/2 was just an asynchronous serial connection. :oops:
PS/2 is synchronous (it has a separate clock line). Nothing the QL's serial ports would be capable of doing.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

We have seen some great replacement ULAs for the ZX81 and ZX Spectrum which are either a replacement or an improvement on the originals.

I am certain there would be market for replacement 8301s - particularly if they added new features and helped the QL to run a bit cooler. 8302 stocks have also now reduced somewhat as Tetroid ordered a fair number for this issue 6 boards.

New Keyboard membranes are manufactured every few years and are generally fairly robust nowadays.

Rubber mats are a different question - although I salvaged quite a lot from the stock of equipment I acquired from Tony FIrshman some years back.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

RWAP wrote: Rubber mats are a different question - although I salvaged quite a lot from the stock of equipment I acquired from Tony FIrshman some years back.
Are rubber mats really breaking? Never had one fail on me as of now. I could imagine people just buy them as a side dish when they replace the membrane.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

tofro wrote:
RWAP wrote: Rubber mats are a different question - although I salvaged quite a lot from the stock of equipment I acquired from Tony FIrshman some years back.
Are rubber mats really breaking? Never had one fail on me as of now. I could imagine people just buy them as a side dish when they replace the membrane.

Tobias
It is rare, but they do sometimes go a little hard, which means that the keys become more "clicky" or pressing one key may result in two key presses...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I saw two distinct types of rubber mat. A brownish tinged type and a blueish tinged type. The blueish ones seem to last forever - they'll probably be floating in space long after this planet is gone. The brown ones tended to get "sticky" as the phthalates left them, then they would dry very slightly. I'd say the bluer ones outnumber the browner ones 20:1, so don't see it being a long term problem.

Catch is that the bluer ones will look browner if used in a smoker's home.