QL Case Heat Warp

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL Case Heat Warp

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote:Does replacing the 7805 with a switching regulator to eliminate heat fix the problem?

With the QL sat in front of you, looked at from below, the screws are:

1---2---3---4
KKKKKKKKK MM
5---6---7---8

K is behind Keyboard, M is behind Microdrives.

Order was supposed to be:

5-8-1-4-7-2-6-3.

With this order and a bent lower, you never see stripped threads unless they're over-tightened.
Hi,

Should the screws not be tightened in balanced an oposite direction i.e.

1-8-4-5-2-7-3-6

Is a torque wrench required to get the equal torque on each screw.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Should the screws not be tightened in balanced an oposite direction i.e.

1-8-4-5-2-7-3-6

Is a torque wrench required to get the equal torque on each screw.
5 and 8 then 1 and 4, because the back row screws have 4x the thread area than the front row screws. The back end screws snug the case down first then the front screws make it square. 5 and 1 came before 8 and 4 because the long metal backing plate behind the keyboard has less give and more weight than the microdrive end, so again is less liekly to strip out.

The middle four screws are just done as an X, bottom right, top left, bottom left, top right.

When we had this discussion at Sandy, it wasn't decided due to my stripping out that thread but when I did strip that thread, Arnie explained Sinclair's order used at the factory. Arnie had designed plastic moldings before (he designed the Pot Noodle pot) so he was something the expert.

Honestly, I only think I remember it because his pot noodle design was something real world I could relate to. :)

Or he was totally winding me up. But I thought he was winding me up on racing motorbikes, and it turned out he wasn't.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Interesting, I had never paid mind to the bend. I think I noticed it two decades ago and ignored it but just now, when coming across this thread, I looked at it and yup, major warp at the microdrive area. What maybe makes this worse is that the US QL's only have 4 feet so there's a lot of hanging surface area causing weight to drag it down on the weak spot. Everything fits tightly on mine though -- i.e. the top and the bottom match perfectly and don't require over tightening and the microdrives are square with that part (because I guess they are mounted independently).

Luckily I don't think this impacts the motherboard because it's only secured by three mounts on the bottom of the case (if I recall correctly). It does mean buying a new bottom doesn't quite work well for these QL's since both upper and lower cases wouldn't match. Wonder if I should put some sort of feet in the middle to help it out. The UK version had 6 feet, right?

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

Wonder if I should put some sort of feet in the middle to help it out. The UK version had 6 feet, right?
Hey, sharp eye observation!

Only UK early models, latter Iss#6 and Samsung makes, all 4 feeters. Mine is UK and 4 feet as well, I have put two small plastic feet, self adhesive, IKEA style, they fit small circular marks on the bottom.

Currently looking for original plastic feet (flat no inside rim), as mine are degrading,..

Tom

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

tcat wrote:Hi,

This topic I have wished to bring up for quite some time. Has anyone observed slight distortion of the case as QL warms up? I did. I was thinking what could cause such distortion. I tried to capture in the picture.

QL.png
The warp is apparent on the right, in the worst case, causing top lid touching down on MDV2 head board. Sinclair rectified with a stand off spacer (plastic collar).

Has it not to do with two distinct materials (PCB, case), being firmly fastened with screws, due to some thermal dilation, leading to sort of `bimetallic effect'?

Provided above correct, which really is only my assumption, could it be rectified by making mounting PCB holes oval rather than strictly circular allowing for thermal dilation to compensate?

Tomas
Oh no :-(

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

tcat wrote:I have put two small plastic feet, self adhesive, IKEA style, they fit small circular marks on the bottom.
Did that help prevent the bending? I'm wondering if I should put some support on the bottom middle of the case so it barely puts some upward pressure on it (maybe barely lifts the left side by 1/2 a mm) and then see if it would slowly, over time, bend it back as you continue to put thicker material on it. Can the the bend be reversed? I'm thinking it would be unlikely as it is surprising that the vertical pieces of plastic have stretched along with the horizontal and I can't imagine them contracting again.

tcat
Super Gold Card

Post by tcat »

My 4 feet QL case. Can drill two more holes in the middle, and put additional two spare rubber mats in place [have 4 originals@ebay ]. Making 6 feet QL bottom.

Two drills dia needed, 7mm and 9mm, hand work only, it's soft polystyrene, avoiding electric machinary. 7mm through hole, 9mm from either side, but not through.
To flatten warp, can experiment with hair drier, to warm case and rectify.
drill for foot
drill for foot
drill.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Starting off with small holes, 0.5mm, then 1mm, 3mm, ...