Sinclair QL - QL-SD with vDRIVE QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Re: Sinclair QL - QL-SD with vDRIVE QL

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Pr0f wrote:You should be able to use both - there are 2 ROM sockets in the QL - both are wired exactly the same, so you could put the QL-SD in the right hand one as you look at the front, and the rom switcher in the left socket.
The QL-SD comes with its own minerva rom. If you want to use your ROM switcher, you must order the QL-SD version with the provision to switch off the embedded ROM, not the version with the SPI interface.

Also, to fit the QL-SD in the right ROM socket, you have to bend a transistor. But it can be done. I am using the QL-SD in the right socket and an original minerva mk-II in the left socket.

Francois

retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Post by retro_collector »

Francois,

Thanks for that. I need to email to see if I can get the version of QL-SD that I can disable

Cheers

Bill

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

tofro wrote:Coming back to the original topic (even if the Q68 is a nice QL-alike and I'm the happy owner of two, I don't think Bill will want to invest into it just now that he has his first "real" QL.)
I was not trying to sell more Q68s, I was only comparing the operating systems.

I have the Tetroid SGC, GC, CF Trump, 512Kb Qubide Cards, Rom Switcher, QL-SD v1, running JS and MInerva Roms. I also have the vDrive-QL as well.

The maon problem with QL-SD is that as stated, the hardware can not be moved as in the original Qubide. So we are stuck with QL-SD in the Rom Port.

But I guess to to use the ROM based software, a version of EPROM_LOAD available in SMSQ/E would be required. Since the source is available, it is just a matter of extracting the code to be loaded at boot time.

Regards,

Derek