TF Services Interfaces and BBC Micro:bit

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: TF Services Interfaces and BBC Micro:bit

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Tony,

Hope you are well.
tonyfirshman wrote:... and no 'edit' key. When I said 'post' replies, I meant 'email' replies, of course.
When you submit a post, then read it, there are three (or four) buttons at the top right corner of your post. The first one allows you to edit the post.

EDIT: The buttons are edit, delete, flag as naughty, or quote.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Tony,

I have the QL Forum streamed via RSS Feed into my email client, in my case Thunderbird.

To reply to a message I click on the QL Forum Web Site URL on the RSS message.

Direct email can only via a Private Message, which the Forum software sends an email notification to the user that a Private Message is waiting for them.

Regards,

Derek
henry's cat
ROM Dongle

Post by henry's cat »

Thanks for all the replies. Tony is right in saying that the question was about the address switches. I have left them all in the on position (all down) on the Parallel port so the port addresses appear to be 56 fort Port 1 and 57 for Port 2.

On the Analogue Interface which I have not tested yet with the BBC Micro:bit the address switches are set as on (down) for switches 1 to 5 and up for switch six. Am I right in thinking that this arrangement of switches 4, 5 and 6 represents 001 in binary or decmial '1'? If switches 1 to 3 are set as binary 0 (000) does that make Port 1's address 72? And with switches 4 and 5 set as 0 with switch six as a 1 (001) what would Port 2's address be?

The Philips I2C Specifications booklet from T.F Services says that the chips will operate with a supply voltage between 2.5V to 6V so 3.3V shouldn't be a problem.

Programs are transferred to the BBC Micro:bit via a USB connection. The code appears to be in the form of a Hexadecimal file which needs to be written to the Micro:bit every time changes are made to a program. Program preparation is done on-line and a real-time simulator shows you the results of your programming for most functions.

FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

The Q68 has a I2C interface on tge board, which I have fitted a SIL header. All Tony's Inferfaces can be used.

The only problem is the lack of external I2C connector when the Q68 board is fitted into a case.
The real only problem is that no driver exist yet for the Q68. Unless I missed them.

On another topic:

Tony, maybe you will be glad to know that the I2C power interface you sold me long ago was used last year in a setup to qualify a set of stepper motors on antenna gimbals used on two different space programs schedule to be launch in the near future.

François

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

I think I've seen a ghost... no, it's actually Tony :-D Hey, long time no see!
tonyfirshman wrote:Just worked out how to upload my image. Bad that the 'ONLINE' banner obscures part of it! ... and there seems to be no way to configure to post replies to threads I am involved in.
I mainly use Tapatalk on the phone to stay somewhat informed.

Cheers, Marcel

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

tonyfirshman wrote:Maybe! I am connected to the QL now with a rubber band. I found this thread as Dilwyn's homepage (hosted on my server) had a charset error. However my QL knowledge was frozen 10 years ago (8-)#

It took me a little to work out who 'PJW' was. Do you still have your (long) hair? My beard is still there (whiter) but little on top.
How does one get these threads emailed, like all other forums do by default?
Yes, still got my all my own hair - and teef! :o*
As you can see, most of the action has moved over here. Surprisingly, it seems to be increasing. A lot of nostalgia, of course, but there is hope ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I have the QL Forum streamed via RSS Feed into my email client, in my case Thunderbird.
Damn, I didn't realize there is an RSS stream, that is of course a good solution!

Marcel

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:I have the QL Forum streamed via RSS Feed into my email client, in my case Thunderbird.
Damn, I didn't realize there is an RSS stream, that is of course a good solution!

Marcel
Yes, works quite well with Windows Live Mail feeds too, for those of us still daft enough to use that.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

FrancoisLanciault wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:The Q68 has a I2C interface on tge board, which I have fitted a SIL header. All Tony's Inferfaces can be used.

The only problem is the lack of external I2C connector when the Q68 board is fitted into a case.
The real only problem is that no driver exist yet for the Q68. Unless I missed them.
I think Derek just refers to the fact that we actually use Tony's Interfaces with our own programs und they interoperate with the Q68.

Please forgive that I don't publicly release this "home-use" software as it is. A public release causes extra work for cleaning up code, adding comments, and answering questions. I would like to offer it, but there is so much other work, and I don't know when.

The bitbanging I²C interface of the Q68 is primitive (and so similar to Minerva) that I hope someone else but me can adapt the Minerva driver. Ideally, not depending on Minerva as operating system and also useable under SMSQ/E.

For simple applications, it's also possible to go without driver, like myself. That requires just general I²C knowledge and a look into the Q68 manual for the (very simple) register definitions.

Peter

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I only meant the I²C hardware supplied by TF Services is compatiable with the Q68.

Regards,

Derek