Strange goings on in MAC world

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Strange goings on in MAC world

Post by Mr_Navigator »

In a recent spate of QL'ing an interesting thing has turned up when using Qemulator on the MAC OSX

I recently purchased a MACBook PRO and running Qemulator I find that the KEYROW function does not anything at all when any keys (thinks in Homer Simpson voice "where's the any key?") are pressed at all however the inkey$ does :(

I use the following simple program to test for all KEYROW(s) but to no avail, the key character and code number crop up from the INKEY$ function but no keyrow numbers.

10130 CLS
10140 REPeat loop
10150 CURSOR 0,100
10160 FOR f=0 TO 7
10170 PRINT "Keyrow ";f,KEYROW(f);" "
10180 NEXT f
10190 A$=INKEY$
10200 IF A$=CHR$(27) THEN EXIT loop
10210 PRINT " Key - ";A$;" ";CODE(A$);" "
10220 END REPeat loop

The next thing I tried was the same program on my iMAC which is about three years old and hey presto the same program works perfectly, and it registers the keys, function ones (F1 etc.) as well as reporting appropriate numbers.

Both systems are running the same operating system which is the latest OSX Lion

So what is happening, why should the Laptop erghhmmn, 'the Macbook' keyboard be any different to the iMAC. Very very strange indeed.

Any ideas appreciated

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Strange goings on in MAC world

Post by robheaton »

Could this be caused by some of the OS X keyboard settings & shortcuts?

Have a look in System Preferences, then Keyboard.
Probably the best way is to compare one against the other, see if you can spot anything different!
(Could be the option "Use all F1, F2 etc. as standard function keys")

I'll try the same tests tonight on my Macbook Pro and iMac. I'll post the results here later!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Strange goings on in MAC world

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I checked both systems for settings but they are both the same, however there was one thing I did differently. Between the two machines using the same program as before, I was running Qemulator at full speed on the iMAC and Qemulator at QL speed on the MacBook Pro.
Even stranger after a bit more searching it has something to do with speed, at gold card speed and full speed it seems to work OK on both systems but at QL original speed it doesn't work at all. :?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/