Connecting a mouse to the QL

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Andrew
Aurora

Connecting a mouse to the QL

Post by Andrew »

How can I connect a mouse to the QL ?
As serial mouse with 9 pin connectors are very hard to find, is there a way to connect a mouse with a PS2 connector ?

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Re: Connecting a mouse to the QL

Post by belg4rion67 »

Hi, if you search into forum you will find a topic about an interface to connect a ps2 mouse and also in Dilwyn web site you will find a lot of infos about your request.

Only original hardware! :)
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

This is still a bit of a problem. The easiest solution is still the serial mouse. If you've got one of the old parallel-mouse interfaces like QIMI then there are also adapters to PS2: https://www.kilgus.net/2017/01/30/of-mi ... stly-mice/
People have also built new QIMI devices with PS2 support built in, but are not selling them. So all in all this still needs some better solution.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Andrew wrote:How can I connect a mouse to the QL ?
As serial mouse with 9 pin connectors are very hard to find, is there a way to connect a mouse with a PS2 connector ?
A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors. You just need a BT to 9 pin D serial port adaptor on the QL, plus the serial mouse software (or am I missing something)

QIMI was a nice interface, but is reliant on a BUS mouse without a suitable adaptor and as has been pointed out, the QIMI has not been made for years.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

RWAP wrote: A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors. You just need a BT to 9 pin D serial port adaptor on the QL, plus the serial mouse software (or am I missing something)
Those adaptors are hit-and-miss. They work with some Logitech and Microsoft mouse models (mostly the models with ball), but not with all. Other brands seldom work with those adaptors.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

RWAP wrote:A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors.
The adaptors I saw are passive and only work with obsolete combo mice which are also serial internally. No solution for recent PS/2 mice.

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

RWAP wrote:
Andrew wrote:How can I connect a mouse to the QL ?
A quick look on ebay shows some ps/2 mouse to serial port adaptors. You just need a BT to 9 pin D serial port adaptor on the QL, plus the serial mouse software (or am I missing something)

QIMI was a nice interface, but is reliant on a BUS mouse without a suitable adaptor and as has been pointed out, the QIMI has not been made for years.
I try the active PS2 to serial adapter, it works fine on PC compatible computer.

Can you recommend the serial mouse software to check this adapter on QL ?

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

The Albin Hessler Sermouse software is now freely distributable, thanks to Albin for allowing that. It canbe downloaded from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/index.html . It is between the Pointer Environment and Toolkit 2 sections on that page.

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

dilwyn wrote:The Albin Hessler Sermouse software is now freely distributable, thanks to Albin for allowing that. It canbe downloaded from http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/pe/index.html . It is between the Pointer Environment and Toolkit 2 sections on that page.
Thank you.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru