68060 based QL system?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

Do you want a 68060 based QL system?

No, better improve speed of FPGA based 68K
43%
Original Q60 with video updates
18%
New 68060 system design
39%

Total votes: 28

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: 68060 based QL system?

Post by Dave »

Then just adding a QL-SD standard connector so we could plug a QL-SD microdrive board into it to reposition the SD slot in a case would go a long way. An Atmega could convert keyboard matrix to PS/2.

Q68 is very strong; it just suffers at higher screen modes. Focusing work there would yield the best results.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:Then just adding a QL-SD standard connector so we could plug a QL-SD microdrive board into it to reposition the SD slot in a case would go a long way.
You mean the QL-SD internal micromatch connectors? Ideally they should be somewhere on the Q68, parallel to the card sockets. I wanted to do that, but time passed and in the end I didn't want to go another prototyping round for that.

But there is a solution: Make a little PCB with the right thickness that carries the micromatch connector on top and SD card shape pads on bottom. Plug that it into the Q68 card socket.
Dave wrote:An Atmega could convert keyboard matrix to PS/2.
Sure. Nice project for someone who tinkers with Microcontrollers anyway, no need I do it myself. Could be used for non-QL retrocomputing as well.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Peter wrote:
Sure. Nice project for someone who tinkers with Microcontrollers anyway, no need I do it myself. Could be used for non-QL retrocomputing as well.
And that's exactly how it went down, thanks to Phoebus Dokos.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:
Peter wrote:
And that's exactly how it went down, thanks to Phoebus Dokos.
Did Phoebus' Matrix-PS/2 converter go down, or is it just a matter of patience? I didn't follow the Spectrum news.

johnh
ROM Dongle

Post by johnh »

Peter wrote:
Artificer wrote:I love my Q60 and like Derek I would like the Q60 to be able to display on flat screen monitors or HDMI TVs.
What I already have is an alternative video chip design, which creates a 1024x768 signal that many (probably not all) flatscreen monitors correctly recognize. It is currently used by W.L. and I plan to send one more chip to Fabrizio soon. Drawback: Lower 33% of the screen remains black.

What I'm also looking into, is creating a FullHD VGA signal by line doubling, leaving only 5% black. The vertical refresh rate would be low and non-standard, but some monitors don't seem to care.
Hi, Peter.

Being a Q60 owner, I've voted for a Q60 update - I'm sure I'd use it more if it wasn't tied to my 20 year old 17" Trinitron CRT!

In fact, that's one of the reasons I put my name down for a Q68.

John Hall

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Hi John,
it is similar for myself. Although the Q60 is much faster, I rarely use it since I have the Q68.
Thanks for your feedback, Peter

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Peter wrote:Did Phoebus' Matrix-PS/2 converter go down, or is it just a matter of patience? I didn't follow the Spectrum news.
Patience. :D

First thing I want to do is incorporate it into the Q68 Top Deck.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:
Peter wrote:Did Phoebus' Matrix-PS/2 converter go down, or is it just a matter of patience? I didn't follow the Spectrum news.
Patience. :D

First thing I want to do is incorporate it into the Q68 Top Deck.
But if you do the hardware, would Phoebus still write the software for the microcontroller? Hardware is the smallest issue here, Tobias even worked out a solution that is very cheap and uses an existing board.

Anyway, I think we agree that original QL keyboard connection can be solved separatly from a potential 68060 system.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Indeed. A 68060 board should look forward. Membrane support is living in the past. At some point, we need to make a break.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If we are to move forward, then how about impossible solution of using USB keyboards. I say impossible, as there is no solution available.

There is PS/2 to USB converters, which only on some USB keyboard that support PS/2 data/clock signals ( Not sure about).

Regards,

Derek