Q68 New users and general usage thread

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 New users and general usage thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have tried this on 4 Q68 computers, with no keyboard or mouse in the PS/2 socket and connecting the Monitor cable to the VGA socket, Power Plug to power socket and bootable SD Card inserted into SD Card Slot 1

Switching on the Q68 power switch does boot the Q68 to SMSQ/E and run the boot file.

The way to have the Q68 not boot up, is to not have a bootable SD Card in SD Card Slot 1.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Ok, so that's what was going on.

My bad!

I had this happen when I had the defective SD card, before the working replacements arrived.

For others following, my Q68 came with a card that was blank - we decided it was likely damaged in transit by customs. It would halt at the PS/2/clock prompt. I attributed that to PS/2 problems and it turned out there was a small PS/2 hardware problem of a solder whisker causing a short. I attributed those two problems to one correct and one slightly incorrect cause...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Dave,

I always test the assembled Q68 in the case, so I am at a loss to understand how I missed this error.

My apologies for letting a Q68 be sent out with electrical short to case.

Can you try setting the date and time with the SDATE command and then execute the Q68SETRTC programme, i.e.

Code: Select all

EX "win1_q68_q68setrtc"
This wil set the Runtime Clock.

Does the clock stay at the correct date?

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

You must allow for the stress of shipping internationally, which will put the machine through rougher handling than anything it will experience before or after. Besides shaking and knocking, it also gets X-rayed, and if there's metal in there that blocks too much signal they just turn up the x-ray power until they can see through the metal.

The clock works normally, and everything is fine.

vezhlys
ROM Dongle

Post by vezhlys »

I am still having issues to find any mouse working with splitter supplied. Initially I thought it is because I have used USB to ps/2 adapter, but yesterday I tested setup with keyboard and mouse both having cord with PS/2 connector. If mouse is connected, Q68 halts at ROM loader (I guess by trying to identify it). On the other hand all keyboards worked for me including USB ones with USB to PS/2 adapter (unless no mouse is attached). Can a splitter be faulty or is it only certain mouse which can work with Q68 even if those have PS/2 cord?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

vezhlys wrote:I am still having issues to find any mouse working with splitter supplied. Initially I thought it is because I have used USB to ps/2 adapter, but yesterday I tested setup with keyboard and mouse both having cord with PS/2 connector. If mouse is connected, Q68 halts at ROM loader (I guess by trying to identify it). On the other hand all keyboards worked for me including USB ones with USB to PS/2 adapter (unless no mouse is attached). Can a splitter be faulty or is it only certain mouse which can work with Q68 even if those have PS/2 cord?
Hi,

I have colour coded the Belkin PS/2 Splitter: Green = Mouse, Purple = Keyboard.

The Q68 will boot up if the either of the mouse or keyboard is connected.

If the keyboard (Green plug) is connected to the PS/2 Purple (Mouse) connector, the Q68 will halt at the ROM LOader, displaying the PC.CLOCK.

I have not tested every PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard combinations, but I have not found a PS/2 Mouse or keyboard that will not work.

Try connecting the PS/2 Keyboard to the Q68 PS/2 Connector, does the Q68 boot up?

I can send you another PS/2 Splitter. Send me a PM if you want me to send one.

Regards,

Derek
BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

vezhlys wrote:I am still having issues to find any mouse working with splitter supplied. Initially I thought it is because I have used USB to ps/2 adapter, but yesterday I tested setup with keyboard and mouse both having cord with PS/2 connector. If mouse is connected, Q68 halts at ROM loader (I guess by trying to identify it). On the other hand all keyboards worked for me including USB ones with USB to PS/2 adapter (unless no mouse is attached). Can a splitter be faulty or is it only certain mouse which can work with Q68 even if those have PS/2 cord?
I had an old 90s HP keyboard attached to the Q68+splitter and both keyboard and scroll-mouse did not work, locking up after just one move or one click.
I replaced the keyboard for something a bit more modern and both function without problems.
The HP keyboard works OK on my PC, so may be too much power is drawn by the old keys?

Bob

vezhlys
ROM Dongle

Post by vezhlys »

Thank you for the answers. I have found working combination in the end. It seems splitter connection became loose when I was reattaching devices constantly. Plus I connected devices in opposite ports in the last unsuccessful try. Generally PS/2 mouse and keyboard works for me now. Even one older USB keyboard with adapter works together with PS/2 mouse.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I use a Perixx PERIBOARD-409P keyboard and PERIMICE-201PII Mouse from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perixx-PERIBOA ... B00JV08TIA

The matching mouse, PERIMICE-201PII mouse seems to be unavailable.

But the keyboard and mouse work well with the Q68.

The data on the labels for the voltage/current is:

Keyboard: 5V 100mA
Mouse: 5V 20mA

I had maybe wrongly assumed that PS/2 is a standard and the voltafe/currents would the same for all keyboards and mouses .... or is it mice.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

BSJR wrote:The HP keyboard works OK on my PC, so may be too much power is drawn by the old keys?
Not if your 5V power supply is stabilized and delivers at least 1A as recommended.

This is the first time I ever hear about a non-working keyboard. Especially that mouse was affected is weird - both ports are completely separate electrically and logically, except power supply. Are you sure it was not a mouse/keyboard mismatch?