Q68 Order Process

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
KaySee
ROM Dongle

Re: Q68 Order Process

Post by KaySee »

Hi Derek,

Does this mean I know what my christmas present will ne this year?

Keith

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Keith,

I should have the Q68 shipping by the end of October.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I must apologise for the condition of the Q68 end plates.

The end plates are made from black anodised laser cut plates, with all the required holes CNC machined. The problem is with the paint adherence to the metal, which I use a high temperature melting paint so that the paint could be baked to 120 Deg C to give a hard surface. But clearly this has not worked and the paint has detached itself from the metal.

Since the panels were made in a EU country and now are very expensive for the machining work, I have had to find a new manufacturer to make the end plates, which I have found in the UK and provide the same style of case in varying sizes with fully anodised end plates to suit.

I will need to provide a engineering drawing to manufacture the finished end plates, which should not impact on the cost of the Q68.

Once the finished new anodised Q68 end plates are available, offer these for exchange of the flaking paint plates.

I am considering a slightly larger Q68 case, with added height to accommodate the I2C and QL Net Connectors on the rear end plate, which would save drilling into the case side wall.

The new case would have an added 15mm in height, which would give enough space on the Rear Panel to accommodate the I2C and 2 x QL Network connectors, as shown below:
Q68 Case Size Comparisons
Q68 Case Size Comparisons
There would be added height space for internal expansion from the Q68 Internal expansion port.

The only real change is the extra 15mm in height, so new end plates would be required, which would solve the paint flaking issues on the Q68 v1.1 case.

Only thoughts at present.

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek!

Should your proposal come to fruition, I for one would happily purchase a pair of new cases first r my 2 Q68's... :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martyn,

OK, thanks for the comment.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Would you be offering a kit of parts to add the network ports / i2c port on the rear of the new case.

And would this be something for DIY retrofit? I love the compactness of the Q68, but that is also it's downfall in terms of space to put the network ports etc.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Pr0f wrote:Would you be offering a kit of parts to add the network ports / i2c port on the rear of the new case.

And would this be something for DIY retrofit? I love the compactness of the Q68, but that is also it's downfall in terms of space to put the network ports etc.
A kit of parts is always an option.

The problem with the current Q68 case is the expandability. Adding QL Network connectoins can either be done on the front panel or the side of the case.

I do no like the front panel option, so I opted for the side option. To connect the QL Net connectors to the side of the Q68 case requires 2 x 6mm holes drilled with an 8mm counter-bore to accommodate the connector securing nut,

Inside the case which has rails for locating PCBs, which the Q68 uses the bottom rail. To alllow the QL Net connectors to be secured to the outside of the case, part of the upper rails where the 6mm hole is drilled, must be removed, by milling the excess Aluminium away.

This results in a nice niice installation for the QL Net, but this quite an intesive process. Which I can do with a hand drill and End Mill, but an alternative is a increased height of the case to accommodate the extra connections on the back.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
KaySee
ROM Dongle

Post by KaySee »

Hi Derek,

For my two cents, the larger case and rear net connections would be the best option.

Keith.

fatbob_gb
ROM Dongle

Post by fatbob_gb »

Hi Derek,

It is probably too late for this batch but I would like to declare interest in a board + case + Y kb/mouse adaptor.

Thanks,

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

fatbob_gb wrote:Hi Derek,

It is probably too late for this batch but I would like to declare interest in a board + case + Y kb/mouse adaptor.

Thanks,
HI,

I will add you to the waiting list.

Regards,
Derek

Regards,

Derek