Still possible to get Minerva ROM

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Still possible to get Minerva ROM

Post by mk79 »

tofro wrote:
mk79 wrote:separate the outgoing pins from the Eprom pins like Chr$ did here https://www.ebay.de/itm/203613323341...
That picture BTW triggers my "dodgy solder joint" alert.
The blob on the middle jumper pin? :-D It triggers me more that the (E)EPROM is not in a socket ;)

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

tofro wrote:
mk79 wrote:separate the outgoing pins from the Eprom pins like Chr$ did here https://www.ebay.de/itm/203613323341...
That picture BTW triggers my "dodgy solder joint" alert.
Because the pins aren't completely engulfed in solder at the top/in the holes? The through-holes are totally full of shiny metal from top to bottom. It's fine tofro ;).

By far the most shoddy thing was one I sent to the USA recently.... I forgot to put the sticker on!

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Chr$ wrote:
tofro wrote:The through-holes are totally full of shiny metal from top to bottom. It's fine tofro ;).
I'm sure it is. Pictures can misguide.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

These will destroy any socket you put them into. Or won't even fit in case of turned-pins sockets.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Good point Marcel - I am sure that it might be possible to find right angle turned pin headers though, so the jist of the idea is there.

QJumpJon
ROM Dongle

Post by QJumpJon »

Ah yes, OK, same concept but achieved by different means :) Pretty sure those things didn't exist back in the day - we used long-pin turned sockets (designed for thick multi-layer PCBs, I believe). Got the scaling wrong on Mk I and the pin pitch was just fractionally under 0.1", requiring a bit of ... um ... "technique", to get them assembled! "don't force it - use a bigger hammer"

QViewStu
ROM Dongle

Post by QViewStu »

QJumpJon wrote:Ah yes, OK, same concept but achieved by different means :) Pretty sure those things didn't exist back in the day - we used long-pin turned sockets (designed for thick multi-layer PCBs, I believe). Got the scaling wrong on Mk I and the pin pitch was just fractionally under 0.1", requiring a bit of ... um ... "technique", to get them assembled! "don't force it - use a bigger hammer"
Finesse it Jon, finesse it with a hammer and pliers...

One third of the original QView Minerva crew.
Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I have Minerva MkII that I was repairing broken pins on the Rom Socket.
Why is an RTC useful on a stand alone computer? Is it so you know when to make a cup of tea? :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Ruptor wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:I have Minerva MkII that I was repairing broken pins on the Rom Socket.
Why is an RTC useful on a stand alone computer? Is it so you know when to make a cup of tea? :)
He he, I guess it'd be useful for lazy people like me not to have to set it each time I start the computer.

More seriously, I guess it'd probably be useful on a Minerva Mkii when interfacing to real world hardware via the I2C bus.

If there's such a thing as a power on/off interface for the I2C bus, you could even make it switch on the kettle at your designated tea break time, Ruptor :twisted:

AFAIK, no I2C interface to fill the kettle first, though. That's down to you...

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

It's probably also useful in correctly time stamping files you might be writing to a disk - makes it easier then to know which copy might be the latest one?

and bearing in mind the stock seconds counter in the ZX8302 is probably going to have some wonderful random garbage in it when it starts - so worth having that set correctly in any case :-)