Case for Trump card clone

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Alexlag
ROM Dongle

Re: Case for Trump card clone

Post by Alexlag »

dilwyn wrote:
Alexlag wrote:Hello.

Please sign me up for one! :)

BR, Alex
Gråbo, Sweden
Hello, and welcome to the Forum, our 398th member!
Thank you :)

Began with ZX81, moved to Spectrum and dreamed of the QL. But it never came to be. Fast forward many years and I picked one up. Then I was given two more. But my time was needed elsewhere so I put them in storage. And after sitting in a box for many years I've begun fixing them up and improving them. Found great enjoyment in doing so. So nice to see that a thriving global QL community is around.

BR, Alex

georgeo
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by georgeo »

Hi everyone,

A quick update on this. Sadly, I've only received five notes of interest, which is too few to make a design-and-print run viable. I'll work with Vitaliy to try to get more interest in the future, but for now it looks as if this is a non-starter.

Thanks to those who took the time to note their interest and apologies if this news is disappointing,
George.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The cost is too high, if the cost can be dropped to below £10 per unit I could be interested.

I have 3 Trump Cards and only one with the original metal cover.

Maybe I can design a lower cost cover. But I have no 3D printer.

Regards,

Derek
robsoft
ROM Dongle

Post by robsoft »

Bah, catching up on things (real life has not been kind recently) - I would have been interested in one of these. But only one, to be fair. :-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I have a 3D printer and a few KGs of black ABS. I already designed this cover for Sandy SuperQBoards, and the board fit is the same - 100 x 160mm. If you send me a photograph of the left edge of the trump card with a metric ruler against it so I can see the positioning of the connectors, I can print you one off.

It would look something like this, but with fewer ridges on the left edge - just five ridges instead of 15. I print the top and bottom, then print the sides separately. I might redesign it so it can be printed as two parts (sides and top, bottom) so I can print several at a time. It's a general purpose fit. http://www.sellmyretro.com/uploaded/img ... 0_3415.JPG. I you're happy with the fit and finish, I could put them on SellMyRetro with fulfillment by Rich.

It would be about £15 plus shipping from the USA for the first 5 or so, then the price would drop to maybe £12 or so plus shipping. That's closer to the actual cost of materials plus the time/wear on the 3D printer.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I was going to a drawing of the original Trump Caed Cover and have a UK based company 3D print the cover.

The only problem, is that the original metal cover acts as a heat sink, so a non-heat DC-DC converter is required. I only have a TSR-1-2450 which is only 1 amp, I am not sure if that is enough for the Trump Card.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The 7805 on the Trump Card is a 2.4A model. The designed cleverly used the ground as a heat pipe to move heat away from it. However, in assembly they did not use a thermal interface material. The metal cover makes very little contact with the board so I think its effect is neutral.

Sinclair's design spec says the maximum draw any expansion can make from the expansion port is 500mA, and the QL is only supplied with 9V @ 1.8A, which is 2.6A at 5V assuming the conversion circuitry is around 80% efficient.

robsoft
ROM Dongle

Post by robsoft »

ooh, wow - I am very interested! I don't have the stuff to hand tonight, but I'll take a reference picture as requested tomorrow. Thanks :-)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Dave wrote:If you're happy with the fit and finish, I could put them on SellMyRetro with fulfillment by Rich.
Sorry but I do not want to be involved with the costs of getting stuff from the US, paying import duties, VAT and handling charges and then selling things on - there is nothing in it for me and it just pushes the end price up to the customer, as they can normally buy 1 without getting caught by these extras.

If you want to avoid having to sort out the orders and postage, you would be better speaking to your fellow American who already sells 3D cases for the ZXpand module through sellmyretro :)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

"That's the job of government; to get in a man's way." -- Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly.