QL SER-USB from MEMORY LANE

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

QL SER-USB from MEMORY LANE

Post by Outsoft »

Someone knows If is possible to find again this piece of HW for the QL?

Seems very interesting: transfer from Serial port of the QL to the external SD bay, wow!!!

Using a ROM!!!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL SER-USB from MEMORY LANE

Post by tofro »

Adrian dropped the project because he never got it working properly with a standard QL.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

I have experienced no problems with the FAT driver, but some problems with the native driver, and less problems with the more recent version of the native driver.
So I think, it is something in the software.
But in fact, even with my old driver (I do not have the latest version without Queue Manager) it is pretty usable.
And with the FAT driver, it is the easiest way to transfer files (even .zip archives bigger than can fit onto floppy disk) from the PC or a Mac to the QL - by simple use of FAT formatted SD card or USB flash and the UZ_COPY command.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

dex wrote:I have experienced no problems with the FAT driver, but some problems with the native driver, and less problems with the more recent version of the native driver.
So I think, it is something in the software.
But in fact, even with my old driver (I do not have the latest version without Queue Manager) it is pretty usable.
And with the FAT driver, it is the easiest way to transfer files (even .zip archives bigger than can fit onto floppy disk) from the PC or a Mac to the QL - by simple use of FAT formatted SD card or USB flash and the UZ_COPY command.
I would like to have one too ;)

MemoryLaneComputing
ROM Dongle

Post by MemoryLaneComputing »

tofro wrote:Adrian dropped the project because he never got it working properly with a standard QL.

Tobias
That's roughly correct.

The problem relates to nesting calls from a directory device driver into the QL serial driver, specifically calling the serial driver to read a block from the device. I spent a lot of time trying to fix all the issues and then, in the end, the special module at the heart of the Ser-USB that does all the work was taken out of production!

Actually, I still have the prototype and remember selling all the remaining stocks of the PCB (but I can't remember to whom).

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

MemoryLaneComputing wrote:
tofro wrote:Adrian dropped the project because he never got it working properly with a standard QL.

Tobias
That's roughly correct.

The problem relates to nesting calls from a directory device driver into the QL serial driver, specifically calling the serial driver to read a block from the device. I spent a lot of time trying to fix all the issues and then, in the end, the special module at the heart of the Ser-USB that does all the work was taken out of production!

Actually, I still have the prototype and remember selling all the remaining stocks of the PCB (but I can't remember to whom).
It will be nice to have one to test too ;)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Tobias
That's roughly correct.

Hi Adrian,

Pity you stopped development, I am sorry I did not support you by buying the SER-USB interface.

Is there any chnace of publishing the development details under GPL.

Regards,

Derek
MemoryLaneComputing
ROM Dongle

Post by MemoryLaneComputing »

Derek_Stewart wrote:

Tobias
That's roughly correct.

Hi Adrian,

Pity you stopped development, I am sorry I did not support you by buying the SER-USB interface.

If you mean the source code, I am happy to do that but I don't have much free time at the moment. fyi The driver uses the same core as the QL-SD with a different physical layer that handles communication with the USBWiz module.

I'll put this on my TODO list, but can't promise an early release.

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
That's roughly correct.

Hi Adrian,

If you mean the source code, I am happy to do that but I don't have much free time at the moment. fyi The driver uses the same core as the QL-SD with a different physical layer that handles communication with the USBWiz module.

I'll put this on my TODO list, but can't promise an early release.
Wow!