Suitable floppy drive(s) for a Trump-compatible card

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
robsoft
ROM Dongle

Re: Suitable floppy drive(s) for a Trump-compatible card

Post by robsoft »

As the floppy thread is a little active again, I thought I'd complete my end of it.

I stuck the drives into an old aluminium 'JBOD' type disk enclosure. The enclosure used to drive a pair of 3.5" SATA drives, I looked at the PSU and it was providing plenty of grunt to drive the 2 floppies. I gutted out some of the old control stuff in there so that I was just using the power adaptor input, the circuitry to regulate the power and feed it to a molex data power connector, then I soldered in a pair of old-style floppy power connectors where the SATA ones had been. Screwed it all together, and it seems to work fine.
drive (not showing extended ribbon)
drive (not showing extended ribbon)
I had to extend the ribbon connector a little, and in time it would be nice to have a power switch on the back of the drive (and matching drives themselves, they're both Sony MPF20s but they have different front panels).
includes small extension ribbon
includes small extension ribbon
Pay no attention to the rat's nest of cables around the back, much of that is to do with my Spectrum +3 which shares the same desk at the moment. (I'm putting a 3.5" drive on that, too).

Ralf R.

Re: Suitable floppy drive(s) for a Trump-compatible card

Post by Ralf R. »

In the 80s, I have used 5,25 Floppies to backup my 3,5 ones. They were a lot cheaper. The Atari WIN device has made a lot problems and there were no programs to recall them. Tony has missed that. The QXL.WIN container never appeared on Atari, unfortunately, as this came *before* the QXL. And is still as it is,