JED files availble for TrumpCard PALs?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
martyn_hill
Aurora

JED files availble for TrumpCard PALs?

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi everyone

Having recently acquired an (original) Trumpcard which appears to be faulty, I have been troubleshooting the two PALs and, using my cheapo Programmer have been able to read one of them (#1).

PAL #2 however eads as all FF's suggesting that it either become unprogrammed (is that possible for a PAL?) or is otherwise dead.

I was thinking of using one of my spare Lattice 16v8 GALs and reprogram it with the appropriate JED definition file.

I read some references in older threads that the JED def files might be available - anyone here know where they could be found?

Also, do we expect any problems replacing those old PALs with modern GAL equivalents (speed, etc?)

Thanks in advance!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: JED files availble for TrumpCard PALs?

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martyn,

I have 2 x Trump Card v1, the PAL chips are PAL16L8ANC on both cards. The PAL chips on v2 Trump Cards look the same chips and have the same ID number.

According to the GAL16LV8 datasheet, the PAL16L8 architecture is emulated by Complex OLMC mode. So I would say the PAL could be put into a GAL16LV8, this would have to tested.

I can not find the Trump Card PAL code online anywhere, I can copy the PAL code easily and upload it.

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek

Terrific! I'd be very grateful if you could pull the JED files and upload (or PM me - whichever)!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi again Derek

Just wondering how you identify the version of Trumpcard.

The only text on my board is 'Trumpcard' and 'Miracle Systems' - so given no other indicator, would this be a v1? It has 24x 1-bit DRAM chips.

Meanwhile, although I was able to pull a JED file from the PAL #1 that wasn't all FF's, it still looks suspicious so I may need to program two GALs in place of both PALs.

I may also have fried the 32K EPROM in my playing around, so plan to replace it with a 64K (27c512) with the TC ROM image in the upper 32k.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martyn,

Trump Card v1 has 24 ram chips and Trump Card v2 has 6 Ram Chips

I am assuming that the PAL code is the same, as on board ram totals 768K

See the comparison in this photo:
Trump Card Version Comparison
Trump Card Version Comparison

I was going to reproduce the Trump Card, but this has already been done. Maybe an idea would be to put 1mb ram on board and shadow the QL Ram, like the Super/Gold Card, without the faster CPU. This could make SMSQ/E loadable maybe...

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek

Thanks for that - yes, I appear to have a v1 TC.

I've also been following that thread on the forum about getting SMSQ/E running on a BBQL - that shadowing/ROM re-mapping is still a bit beyond me at the moment, so I'll stick with getting this old TC running with Minerva for now :-)

Did you happen to get a copy of those PAL dumps? Once I've eliminated the PALs, and if it still wont get recognised, it'll be down to the soldered logic ICs...

Happy Sunday!

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

Hy, Martin.

I have JED files for version 2 card ( 6 memory chips ), please see attachment, PAL16L8 and GAL16V8 versions.

Only the first GAL ( 1V4 ) work fine, the work of second GAL ( 2V4 ) is not stable, because of RC-delays, which use in schematic, it needs speeds and electrical parameters of PAL16L8ANC.
I recommend only PAL16L8ANC for 2V4. If you dont find them, I can dispatch, but I in Russia, it takes 10-15 days for delivery.
Probably, 2V4 GAL will work sometimes and you can check the Trump card.

Sorry for my bad English.

Regards, Vitaliy.
Attachments
TRcard2PLD.zip
(1.53 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Thank you Vitaliy!

You're English is fine!

So, if I've understood correctly, for the TC v2 (6x DRAMs), it seems 'safe' to replace the PAL #1 with a GAL equivalent, but not necessarily safe to replace the PAL #2 with a GAL, due to timing differences, etc between PALs and GALs.

I'm guessing that the v1 TC (24x DRAMs) that I am currently trying to repair/convert to GALs, the JED files might be quite different from the TC v2 versions anyway, right?

You don't happen to have the actual PAL/GAL source equations, do you? If so, would you be willing to share them as well?

Thank you!

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

martyn_hill wrote:Thank you Vitaliy!

You're English is fine!

So, if I've understood correctly, for the TC v2 (6x DRAMs), it seems 'safe' to replace the PAL #1 with a GAL equivalent, but not necessarily safe to replace the PAL #2 with a GAL, due to timing differences, etc between PALs and GALs.

I'm guessing that the v1 TC (24x DRAMs) that I am currently trying to repair/convert to GALs, the JED files might be quite different from the TC v2 versions anyway, right?

You don't happen to have the actual PAL/GAL source equations, do you? If so, would you be willing to share them as well?

Thank you!
Yes, 'safe' to replace the PAL #1 with a GAL equivalent, but not necessarily safe to replace the PAL #2 with a GAL.

I am not sure that PAL JEDs for ver. 1 and ver. 2 are identical. What is specified on PAL stickers of your card?

I currently dont have PAL equations, but I can make them of JED files if necessary. It will take some time.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Vitaliy

The PALs on my faulty TC v1 are simply marked with stickers 'PAL 1' and 'PAL 2' - nothing else apart from the 'PAL16L8ANC' markings on the underlying ICs.

I'll have a go replacing the PALs with my spare GALs, using the JED files you kindly provided and let you know the result.