JED files availble for TrumpCard PALs?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: JED files availble for TrumpCard PALs?

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martyn,

Sorry for the delay inposting the PAL code for Trump Card v1, I had to use my old DOS based ALL03a Programmer. As my other TL688CS MiniPro programmer would recognise the PALs, which is strange.

The attached Trump Card v1 Jedec files: TC1-1V4.JED and TC1-2v2.JED look to be the same as supplied by Vitaliy.

I have another Trump Card v1 with PAL1 and PAL2 labels on, but I can not read them, as the security fuses are blown.

PAL16L8ANC chips can be obtained from Chinese suppliers for $2.13 per unit

If you like I can send you the 2 sets of PAL chips to see if your Trump Card can come back to life. Leave your address in a private message.
Attachments
TC1-PAL.zip
Trump Card v1 PAL Jedec Files
(944 Bytes) Downloaded 189 times

Regards,

Derek
tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

Thanks, Derek.

I checked JED files.
2V4 and 2V2 is different.

Martin, what problem with the card?
2v2 PAL is only for RAM expansion, you can remove 2v2 PAL and ram chips and check only floppy disk interface.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek and Vitaliy

Thank you so much for that.

In actual fact, today after some playing around with one spare GAL16v8 and trying it with both JED files (as Vitaliy provided for the TC v2) - one in turn, I was still unable to get my TC up and running.

So I tried it in my other BBQL (an Issue 7) and it just worked (tm)! 768K, running TC ROM v1.36 (+TK2 2.26).

Now, why didn't I just try it in my Iss7 BBQL in the first place? Dohh :-)

So, looks like my second BBQL (an Issue 5 - now with all 'mandatory mods' applied) is the cause of the problem after all!

Whilst the Iss5 seems to work fine w/o TC, one other difference between it and my Iss7 might be the switched-mode PS (internal) module that it came fitted with. I'll try it with a conventional 78x05 regulator and borrow the heatsink from my Iss7 to see if the PS is causing problems.

Just for reference, whilst still testing with my Iss7, I was able to replace the Pal #1 with a suitably programmed GAL 16v8 and have the TC fully recognised.

When I then tried replacing the PAL #2 with a GAL (again, reprogrammed), it produced RAM errors (thanks Minerva!).

This confirms precisely Vitaily's earlier comments that PAL#2 needs to be a PAL and not a GAL...

Thank you both so much for your generous input and efforts - and for humoring me whilst I should have known better than assume the TC at fault...

Do you think we should ask Dilwyn to host those JED files in the repository? Or are they still copy-right?

:)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Martyn,

the first thing you should check on your issue 5 is:

Very thoroughly inspect the expansion connector and count the pins .

Two of my second-hand QLs were missing a pin there......

Apparently they tend to bend with age or if not handled properly and then break.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Aha!

So, with the TC1-v2.JED file programmed in to a Lattice GAL16v8 (7ns), the TC RAM DOES work after all!

(My previous test was with the v4.JED file).

That should prove helpful to anyone replacing the PALs on existing TCs with more modern GALs.

Even my humble TL688 programmer can cope with my Lattice GALs, whereas the PALs need something else to program (like your older unit, Derek).

(Now, if only I could find a cheap programmer that would work with my Atmel ATF16v8 GALs...)

I should say that I haven't done any exhaustive testing - only powered-up, seen the 896K memory reported with the TC ROM v1.36 and TK2.26 banners printed and successfully booted in to Minerva.

The TC ROM came from Dilwyn's site (courtesy of Sig. Raffaele), which I blow on to the 'top half' of a 64K EPROM (having nuked the original 32K EPROM).

FREE_MEM reports what you'd expect, as well as EXTRAS (after TK2_EXT).

Thanks again! Now, to figure out what's up with my Iss5 BBQL... (Just seen your post Tobias - I'll check that now!)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

martyn_hill wrote:Do you think we should ask Dilwyn to host those JED files in the repository? Or are they still copy-right?

:)
I don't know about the copyright situation on these. Of course I'd be happy to host them if
(a) copyright OK
(b) enough explanation provided for me to clearly describe what these are, as I've no idea!

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Dilwyn!

I don't know how to find-out about a) (Copyright) - though the JED files are pretty useless unless you've actually got a TC or plan on building your own clone...

As for b) (Explanation) - I'm happy to write-up a little something (acknowledging Derek & Vitaliy for their efforts!) - it would make a nice accompaniment to the TC ROM files on your site :-)

I'll prepare something tomorrow and update this thread then.

Meanwhile, still hunting-down why neither my TC nor my own expansion memory+EPROM card fail to even get recognised by my Iss5 QL - both of which work swimmingly on my Iss7 unit.

Perplexed, of Ealing...

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Martyn,

I have a Trump Card, which I purchased from Rich Mellor, that has an intermittent fault. The Trump Card has PAL1 & PAL2 labelled PAL chips.

I am wondering if replacing with v2 or v4 PAL code chips will sort this issue out.

I will try this and report back.

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Derek

Based on my experiences captured in this thread, I would say that the PALs are unlikely to be at fault after all.

of course, this is mere conjecture at this point.

if the intermittent error appears to down to DRAM, then the refresh could be at fault, or else 'on the edge' DRAM ICs, or perhaps the voltage reg.

You might also want to check the 8Mhz oscillator - not sure if this is used to time the refresh (or possibly the CLKCPU sig at the edge connector). When my TC arrived, the oscillator had a broken pin and so I replaced it.

it might also be that the 74x4040 ripple counter is on it way out as well, as it seems this is used to generate the refresh cycle. Unfortunately, this IC isn't socketted (on my TC anyway).

what are the symptoms when it goes wobbly?

if you go ahead and replace the PALs anyway, then it would appear from what Vitaliy mentions as well as my experience, that PAL 1 could take either 'version' of the JED (for PAL 1, naturally), regardless of TC version.

PAL 2 on the other hand seems to need the 2v2 version for TC v1 (24 DRAM) or instead 2v4 for the (6 DRAM) TC v2..

my own experience with TC v1 is that a GAL could replace either PAL (although Vitaliy suggests that PAL 2 should really remain a PAL).

one final point, highlighted by my experience is that the TC might not be the cause at all, but perhaps the QL Mboard (I'm still troubleshooting the difference between my own Iss5 and Iss7).

I be interested tto hear how you get on! Good luck!

nikosdoykas
Over Heated PSU

Post by nikosdoykas »

xm the 1v4 seems differnent on th 0kb trump.....has eny one the jedec?????