GBS-8220 RGB TO VGA Converter

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Re: GBS-8220 RGB TO VGA Converter

Post by belg4rion67 »

Peter wrote:With my German QL, the picture jumps in vertical direction at unpredictable times. Characters are hardly legible in 512x256, and the single pixels at the border can not be distinguished. Did you have the same results? I used the digital R,G,B,CSYNC inputs (called CGA/EGA).
Finally I've my Jammaboard and I've your same problem: it has some difficult to link vertical signal and image jumps randomly without exception... Do you have resolved this issue on your QL ?

Only original hardware! :)
Andi B.
ROM Dongle

Post by Andi B. »

belg4rion67 wrote:...it has some difficult to link vertical signal and image jumps randomly without exception...
Does it jumps immediately or after a while working?
...I ask this because I have no problems currently but to be honest have not used the QL more than a few minutes with the converter until now.

Regards
Andi B.
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

I have just received my adapter and had a play with it.

It seems to "jump" when the RGB values are turned down a bit too much, I just turned the adjusters a little anti clockwise and it stopped it jumping. Also found waiting for it to settle then hitting "auto" made the picture a little less wobbly.

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

XorA wrote:I have just received my adapter and had a play with it.

It seems to "jump" when the RGB values are turned down a bit too much, I just turned the adjusters a little anti clockwise and it stopped it jumping. Also found waiting for it to settle then hitting "auto" made the picture a little less wobbly.
Hi, I suppose that I'm unlucky in trimming my Jamma :| in effect your suggest made things a bit better but Jamma don't take the right sync with my QL then images rest good for few seconds.

Now I have connected another converter that use only composite input to drive a LCD monitor and with it I have a decent images

mhanias
Brittle Membrane

Post by mhanias »

Is there any RGB to VGA converter that shows the 85 columns of QL working in monitor mode?

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Follow up on this, I have improved the picture on my setup more.

I created a DIN->VGA cable specially for the QL and I used the resistor values listed here

http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... ableQL.htm

To bring the TTL levels of the QL down to SCART compatible levels. This now gives me an absolutely rock solid picture. It also has advantage the levels are the same for my spectrum as QL so I can just switch leads to use other device.

Now I just need to work out how to actually use a QL, never owned one before :-)

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

XorA wrote:Follow up on this, I have improved the picture on my setup more.

I created a DIN->VGA cable specially for the QL and I used the resistor values listed here

http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... ableQL.htm

To bring the TTL levels of the QL down to SCART compatible levels. This now gives me an absolutely rock solid picture. It also has advantage the levels are the same for my spectrum as QL so I can just switch leads to use other device.

Now I just need to work out how to actually use a QL, never owned one before :-)
Hi guy,
have you used the connector at left of three trimmers or vga connector under that trimmers?

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

The picture shows the business end of the lead. As far as I can tell all three connectors are wired together directly anyway.

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Hi, many thanks my friend! I'll try it tomorrow morning and then I'll reply to you my best wishes... :D
Thamk you again
Paolo

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

How well does this board handle monitor mode?

Composite video gets me the usual cropped screen on my LCD monitor and LCD TV. It limits my options a bit when programming.

If it works well in mode 4 and I'd be able to see the full screen, I'll order one today.