Another ram upgrade

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
lliont
Trump Card

Another ram upgrade

Post by lliont »

I did an internal ram upgrade to 640K to my old QL using simple logic chips. The decoder was based on 3 logic ics that I already had in my drawers and I did it without making a PCB, it looks a mess but it seems to work fine. I used a 512k x 8bit static ram 684000 ram.

Here is the decoding circuit:
qlram512.png
Last edited by lliont on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

lliont
Trump Card

Re: Another ram upgrade

Post by lliont »

It looks like this:
qlram2.jpg
And it seems to work fine:
free.jpg

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Although I haven't seen any problem with the previous decoding circuit I made a more "complete" version of the decoding circuit that takes into account both DS and AS without the need of more logic ics, the following that I'm going to try soon.
qlram512_II.png
Last edited by lliont on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

Ok this works too.
It also loads the cpu DS line less.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Don't bother with ASL. The QL does not use it and neither should any peripherals except maybe a set of bus buffers.
74HCT125 could gave been replaced by small schottky diodes appropriately oriented (something ike BAT42). HC(T) can be loaded quite a bit in real world applications.
Also /WR and /OE on the RAM can be simply direct and inverted copies of RDWL from the CPU. The RAM loads them as much as a HC(T) series chip input so no need for extra buffering.

lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

thank you very much for the tips.
There is no extra buffering, what I changed in the first schematic where DS drived 2 chips is that in the second I drived the OE from the NAND output so DS now drives only 1 chip.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi guys

I am in the midst of designing my own 512K expansion using the very same 4Mbit SRAM so interesting to see this working example!

I have a question regarding the driving of the DSMC(l) line - haven't we always been told that a 'fast switching transistor' should be used to drive this line, rather than TTL logic - something about either the latency or else the OC output?

It would certainly simplify things if I didn't have to add a transistor...

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

The 74xxx125 has a tri-state output, so for a line that has to be either open (hi-z) or low, it can pretend to be an "open collector" logic gate if the input is wired to a fixed level and the "logic" input is wired to the tri-state control input ;)

Or the 74xxx125 can be wired, so for a line that has to be either hi-z or driven high (logic high), it can wired to do this job as well ;)

When considering circuits, you have to look at what a logic control line is actually doing. In microporcessor systems they can be logic high, hi-z (tri-state) or low.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

May be this... (can't think of any simplier design using standard logic chips)
qlram512_mod 2a.png
Mark

PS note to self: logic needs checking once I am actually awake :mrgreen:

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
lliont
Trump Card

Post by lliont »

I think DTACK has also to be tri-stated hi-impendance when not low.
Also one can use faster ttl ic family than I did (i couldn't wait for the stores to open as soon as I received the ram I had to try it).