MG ROM Bug

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RWAP
RWAP Master

MG ROM Bug

Post by RWAP »

Now this is a challenge (you may want to get hold of the DEAssembler from Ergon for this) - see http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/asm/deafree.zip

Basically, I have now got a copy of "The Designer" from Pyramide which is a CAD type program.

Whilst looking at its files, I notice that as part of its installation routine, it asks if you are running a French QL? If so it then installs a patch for the French MG ROM - the patch can be found at:

http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk/downloads/MG_FIX

This is just LRESPR'd into memory.

What does it do though?

The manual says it fixes a bug in the French ROM.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: MG ROM Bug

Post by tofro »

The MG ROMs (I have a german one with the same problem) have a nasty problem with the SD.POINT routine that draws single pixels: They always draw 2 pixels instead of one, the 'shadow' pixel being of different colour and slightly offset from the real one. The same problem exposes in the SuperBASIC POINT routine. You couldn't reasonably use pixel-based graphics on them, there was always a slightly odd look in your pictures.
The "MG patch" is expected to fix this. If I remember right, just installing PE also fixed it.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

tofro wrote:The MG ROMs (I have a german one with the same problem) have a nasty problem with the SD.POINT routine that draws single pixels: They always draw 2 pixels instead of one, the 'shadow' pixel being of different colour and slightly offset from the real one. The same problem exposes in the SuperBASIC POINT routine. You couldn't reasonably use pixel-based graphics on them, there was always a slightly odd look in your pictures.
The "MG patch" is expected to fix this. If I remember right, just installing PE also fixed it.
I think that the Toolkit 2 patches this - there is a reference in the TK2 updates list (v2.03) about a patch to MG ROM initialisation problems, although I am not sure if this refers to the point bug or the when error flag resetting.

Dilwyn

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

dilwyn wrote: I think that the Toolkit 2 patches this - there is a reference in the TK2 updates list (v2.03) about a patch to MG ROM initialisation problems, although I am not sure if this refers to the point bug or the when error flag resetting.
Dilwyn
Yes, you're right - It was actually TK2 that fixed it. Been too long I wasn't remembering correctly.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO