Faulty membrane ?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
prime
Trump Card

Faulty membrane ?

Post by prime »

Hi all

I've just tried to replace the keyboard membrane in my second QL, UK iss 6, I think I got the replacement from RWAP at one of the shows a couple of years back. Anyway when installed in the keyboard and plugged in I can't get any response from any of the keys.

I have tried this keyboard in my other QL (Samsung that was origannly MGG), and it doesn't work, however the keyboard from the Samsung QL works in the UK one, so the motherboard is ok.

I even tried plugging in the old membrane, just hanging loose, not in a keyboard and using it to press F2 to get into SuperBasic, just incase it was just F1/F2 that where faulty and then swapping for the new membrane, and I still can't get any response from the keys.

What is different is that the UK QL's back plate only has 5 screws in it, I may see if I have some more screws to see if that is the problem.

Any one know what the problem may be ?

Cheers.

Phill.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Faulty membrane ?

Post by RWAP »

Hmm - this is very odd - you could risk using the Samsung keyboard to get the QL past the F1/F2 screen and then plug in the other keyboard whilst the QL is live - at least then you would know if it is just the function keys not working or all the keys....

If could be the lack of screws as they are needed to keep the membrane close to the rubber mat which sits under the keys (I presume that is still there?)

Also check that the keyboard membrane is lying flat - it is possible there is excess plastic holding the membrane away from the keyboard, although unlikely. It could even be a badly worn rubber mat - I have seen some of these which have become incredibly stiff (I have some spares).

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Faulty membrane ?

Post by Dave »

Another option is that the membrane top layer has snuck into the socket creating a barrier to all the contacts. Check that only the layer with the metallic stripes is making contact.

Also, some sockets have been stretched out and don't make good contact (anything that's ever had a schon keyboard plugged in, for example.)