Swedish MGB ROM

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Swedish MGB ROM

Post by Chr$ »

olpo01 wrote:Picture where you can read the official ROM.
FP, that's a new one to me. The Greek ROM is called ΣFP, so there must be a connection there.... I wonder if the Greek version uses the chip labelled FP for the first part (left chip) and then 'ΣFP' for the above $8000 containing the language stuff, just like the general MG and local specific MGx in combination.
Derek_Stewart wrote: Can you do a tom image of the other rom chip?
MGB is shared above by Charlie, Derek. It should be the same data as on the chips in the pictures.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
olpo01
ROM Dongle

Post by olpo01 »

I guess Beckman has the copyright but the allowed the Spectrum 48K ROM to be freely distributed.

Lack of time has hindered me from make a copy of the ROM.

olpo01
ROM Dongle

Post by olpo01 »

And also a picture of the keyboard since this has real keys and not stickers.
Attachments
IMG_0034.jpeg

Bloodnok
vDriveQL

Post by Bloodnok »

dilwyn wrote:Thanks guys. I've zipped up the three Swedish ROM versions and preserved them on my site...l[/url]
Hi Dilwyn,

I have managed to get the correct rom image (attached). The QDOS version is 1Y13 and the ID returned by PRINT VER$ is 'MGB'

Cheers,

Charlie
Attachments
mgb_48k.zip
(34.78 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thanks Charlie, so we now have the four Swedish ROM versions for the QL!

Last night, I was contacted by Pär Högberg who saw my posting about the Swedish ROMs on the QL group on Facebook. He said he also had a QL with MGB ROM and kindly sent me a photo of a different MGB setup:
Beckman_MGB_rom2.jpg
This also seems to use the original Sinclair MG ROM for the first 32K (just to the left of the carrier board), with a 27128 EPROM on the carrier board for the other 16K, with some changes to the code in the top 2 or 3 KB of that upper 16K, mainly changes to the message languages and keyboard table for the Swedish keyboard layout I think (after only a quick glance). The ROM version in his QL is also MGB/1Y13. Presumably the Swedish importer of the QLs just made their own temporary ROMs to adapt existing QLs for the Swedish market.

I gave Pär a link to the Forum, so he may join us in the coming days.