Lubuntu

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
swensont
Forum Moderator

Re: Lubuntu

Post by swensont »

Mr. Nav,

I've been using Lubuntu for my main desktop for over 6 months, so I can give some pointers.

You can download Java from the www.java.com website (IIRC I think I did that) or you can use the GUI package manger to install it. You can also use "apt-get" from the command line, as long as you know the exact package name to install.

For running SMSQmulator, I set up a shortcut on the desktop that does calls Java. The properties on the file look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=SMSQmulator
Name[en_US]=SMSQmulator
Exec=java -jar /home/swensont/ql/smsqmulator/SMSQmulator.jar
Comment[en_US]=

Then I just double-click on the shortcut and up comes SMSQmulator.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

swensont wrote:Mr. Nav,

I've been using Lubuntu for my main desktop for over 6 months, so I can give some pointers.

You can download Java from the http://www.java.com website (IIRC I think I did that) or you can use the GUI package manger to install it. You can also use "apt-get" from the command line, as long as you know the exact package name to install.

For running SMSQmulator, I set up a shortcut on the desktop that does calls Java. The properties on the file look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=Application
Name=SMSQmulator
Name[en_US]=SMSQmulator
Exec=java -jar /home/swensont/ql/smsqmulator/SMSQmulator.jar
Comment[en_US]=

Then I just double-click on the shortcut and up comes SMSQmulator.
Thanks for the pointers guys, however I have tried all of the previous and still nothing not even a wimper.

The code I have in the short-cut which is enabled for executing by anyone on the desktop is
  • #!/bin/bash

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=SMSQmulator
    Name[en_GB]=SMSQmulator
    Icon=preferences-desktop-theme
    Exec=[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=SMSQmulator
    Name[en_US]=SMSQmulator
    Exec=java -jar /root/SMSQe/SMSQmulator.jar
    Comment[en_US]=
    Comment[en_GB]=

I can only assume JAVA isn't installed correctly, so I have tried the package manager.

Below you can see the screen shot of the package manager, this does seem a longwinded process to install. there are three different JAVA things to install so I am making my way through the first one. Manually clicking and confirming each tick box to mark it for installing. So far all you can see has been installed except for three blanks, one of which is highlighted. when I do mark it a red broken sign comes up, when I try to APPLY this it says its a broken package FIX first. Fixing is in the EDIT drop down, but that fails to fix the package saying:

• E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies

So I am unable to find out what a held package :(

I'm thinking of a reinstall of Lubuntu as I suspect just deleting the folder of JAVA and starting again won't resolve the problem.

BTW I cannot find in the package manager any other way of installing a package other than from this pre-filled list (it seems like luck that three different JAVA packages were in there), I would have thought a simpler way would have manifested itself, as the command line process looks simpler.

What am I doing wrong?
ScreenShot02.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Mr_Navigator wrote:
  • #!/bin/bash

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=SMSQmulator
    Name[en_GB]=SMSQmulator
    Exec=[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=SMSQmulator
    Name[en_US]=SMSQmulator
    Exec=java -jar /root/SMSQe/SMSQmulator.jar
    Comment[en_US]=
    Comment[en_GB]=

You are mixing paradigms here starting with #! /bin/bash means its a shell script but what you have copied in is the contents of a .desktop file.

Remove the top two lines (the #! line and the black line) then name the file SMSQlmuator.desktop

I am a little worried that your path is /root/SMSQe/SMSQmulator.jar you should never run as root by default on linux. I would have expected something like /home/navigators/SMSqe/SMSQmulator.jar

As for that package manage, I have never used it before so no idea how it works.

G

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Ooh closer now

Many thanks TIM

Made the changes as the following shows:

• [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=SMSQmulator
    Name[en_GB]=SMSQmulator
    Exec=[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=SMSQmulator
    Name[en_US]=SMSQmulator
    Exec=java -jar /home/lee/Programs/SMSQe/SMSQmulator.jar
    Comment[en_US]=
    Comment[en_GB]=

Saved as a .desktop file and enabled it to execute
Created a folder called /home/lee/Programs/
Moved the folder containing SMSQmulator to /home/lee/Programs/
Double clicked the desktop icon

I get

Error Cannot initialise the SMSQ/E sample sound system.:JAVAX.sound.sampled.lineUnavaible.Exception

OK to continue

After that I get the default green texted SMSQmulator screen hurrah!

Two out of the four programs dont work properly but I guess that is related to the sound issue.

Coincidently I now have QPCII running under WINE and that was fairly straight forward and created the following shortcut based on TIM's previous guide

• [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Name=QPCII
    Name[en_GB]=QPCII
    Exec=/home/lee/Programs/QPCII/QPC2.exe
    Comment[en_GB]=

It works well, and thanks again to all that helped, hopefully anyone else trying this can learn to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/