Floppy Disk Emulator

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Floppy Disk Emulator

Post by Martin_Head »

Further to my Microdrive emulator of a few weeks ago. I have now made a similar driver to emulate Floppy Disk drives as an image file on another device.

It is available here http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/utils/FDIDriver_v1_00.zip on Dilwyn Jones web site.

It uses standard floppy disk images, and is limited to Double Density (360/720K) disk images, without sub-directories.

Ralf R.

Re: Floppy Disk Emulator

Post by Ralf R. »

You state about a free Floppy disk Driver from Tony Tebby. Any Idea from where to get the source to have a look at?

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Ralf R. wrote:You state about a free Floppy disk Driver from Tony Tebby. Any Idea from where to get the source to have a look at?
The driver is based on the FLP driver in the QDOS4Amiga emulator available on Dilwyn Jones web site.

Or if your really interested, I could upload my source code of my driver.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Martin_Head wrote:Or if your really interested, I could upload my source code of my driver.
Quite good idea what you have done. Anyway, it seems to be the time to copy all of my flp into Images. And I wouldn't know a thing about QPC2's ability to read IMGs if I had not read your text file ;) .

Hmm, does Dilwyn have the source code on his site?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Ralf R. wrote:
Martin_Head wrote:Or if your really interested, I could upload my source code of my driver.
Quite good idea what you have done. Anyway, it seems to be the time to copy all of my flp into Images. And I wouldn't know a thing about QPC2's ability to read IMGs if I had not read your text file ;) .

Hmm, does Dilwyn have the source code on his site?
The Amiga sources should be there at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/index.html under QDOS 4 Amiga and QDOS Classic.

I don't (yet!) have Martin's sources, but would be happy to host them if he wishes to make them available.

As for making raw disk images, it's just a matter of reading in all the sectors for a given disk type, i.e. number of tracks and sectors for a given density - Martin has supplied a program written in BASIC to do this in the FDI driver package, the program is called MakeImage_bas. It should work on most disk interfaces which have direct sector access (the *D2d and *D2h facilities).

Making disk images is one way of preserving content as our floppy disk software media gets older and at increasing risk of disk failures. Both QemuLator and QPC2 can use disk images too, plus *I think* SMSQmulator.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Ah, yes, all found and examined, thank you. Always interesting to read old TT sources with its comments.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I don't (yet!) have Martin's sources, but would be happy to host them if he wishes to make them available.
Just E-mailed the sources for both the Floppy disk and Microdrive emulators to Dilwyn Jones for anyone who is interested.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Ah, thank you. would always be interesting to look for.