Linux emulator uQLx "on a stick"

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
centaur_qlf
ROM Dongle

Linux emulator uQLx "on a stick"

Post by centaur_qlf »

We have the Emulators CD-ROM available which can be put "on a stick" to plug in USB port and run on Windows without installing. Ql-Users group is looking to do the same for Linux.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Linux emulator uQLx "on a stick"

Post by Dave »

I am deeply interested in this, as I am considering doing a uQLx on ARM embedded linux distribution.

Just thinking about it.

centaur_qlf
ROM Dongle

Post by centaur_qlf »

You need to get in on the Ql-Users group. See
http://www.q-v-d.demon.co.uk/smsqe.htm

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I'm on ql-users - it's how I found here ;)

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Ok enough thinking, can it be done? :?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Ok enough thinking, can it be done? :?
A few people offered to help me get this done (I have no knowledge of Linux).

Sadly, nobody came up with a finished package. Which is sad, because I keep getting asked for a "QL On A Linux Stick" or whatever else it might be called.

Dilwyn Jones

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Linux emulator uQLx "on a stick" (QOALS)

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Although initially I wanted to get a QL system up an running on a Linux based computer, what has now made this even more significant is the possibility of an auto booted QL system based around the RaspberryPI (if it comes to fruition in the not too distant future)

One of my IT guys at work may be able to help as I was mentioning to him about it. (he's on hols at the moment)

Incidentally the acronym QOALS sounds like the QL version of Goals which could be a metaphor for something to reach for or achieve :)

Or secondly QOALS could be pronounced like QUALS which in academic terms is short for Qualifications, something to be achieved or gain after a perod of hard work :) ( ooooo der der den den der der den den - eerie twilight zone music)
Last edited by Mr_Navigator on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Linux emulator uQLx "on a stick" (QOALS)

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:Although initially I wanted to get a QL system up an running on a Linux based computer, what has now made this even more significant is the possibility of an auto booted QL system based around the RaspberryPI (if it comes to fruition in the not too distant future)
One of my IT guys at work may be able to help as I was mentioning to him about it. (he's on hols at the moment)
Incidentally the acronym QOALS sounds like the QL version of Goals which could be a metaphor for something to reach for or achieve:)
Or secondly QOALS could be pronounced like QUALS which in academic terms is short for Qualifications, something to be achieved or gain after a perod of hard work :) ( ooooo der der den den der der den den - eerie twilight zone music)
At first, I was reluctant to go this way. However, once the QOALS (oh dear, I wish I'd looked at the abbreviation before mentioning it :twisted: ) is setup it could quickly become a starter device for such projects I suppose. I'll try asking the Q-Celt (Darren) if he could help with this as a way to entice him back to more active QLing (I know he lurks on the mailing list for example).

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

dilwyn wrote:A few people offered to help me get this done (I have no knowledge of Linux).
Yes indeed, I was one of them. :-(
dilwyn wrote:Sadly, nobody came up with a finished package. Which is sad, because I keep getting asked for a "QL On A Linux Stick" or whatever else it might be called.
I'd add a "yet" in there Dilwyn. I haven't forgotten, I do intend to do it (RaspberryPi not withstanding!) and I will do it as and when I get the time. Sorry about the delay and sorrier for not letting you know what was going on. Head hanging in shame!

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:
dilwyn wrote:A few people offered to help me get this done (I have no knowledge of Linux).
Yes indeed, I was one of them. :-(
dilwyn wrote:Sadly, nobody came up with a finished package. Which is sad, because I keep getting asked for a "QL On A Linux Stick" or whatever else it might be called.
I'd add a "yet" in there Dilwyn. I haven't forgotten, I do intend to do it (RaspberryPi not withstanding!) and I will do it as and when I get the time. Sorry about the delay and sorrier for not letting you know what was going on. Head hanging in shame!

Cheers,
Norm.
He he, I didn't want to name names :twisted:
You weren't the only one, though. And I know that people do these things in their spare time usually (or in your case, lunch breaks). :ugeek: (and when not bee-keeping) :roll: