Microdrive Emulator

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: Microdrive Emulator

Post by Martin_Head »

This looks really good, Martin. Is it ready for me to make available via my website (I take it you got my reply to your email a while back, I never got a reply back from you after that).
No I didn't get your reply. But my E-Mail did throw a bit of a wobbly the other day, so it may have gone astray. So yes please add it to your web site.

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Martin, a great little driver, I have no idea why this hasn't been done before and bonus points to you for doing it, and also the fact that
I had never tried to write a device driver before, and had little idea how they worked. As I had a copy of the Minerva source code from the last cover disk of the QL Today magazine, I decided to use this to learn how the Microdrive device driver worked. And use it as basis of my driver.

Just shows :
  • What can be done
    There are still useful software to be written
    What people missed by not subscribing to QL magazines
again thanks Martin :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote: Just shows :
  • What can be done
    There are still useful software to be written
    What people missed by not subscribing to QL magazines
again thanks Martin :D
Absolutely, well said.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: Microdrive Emulator - Revisited

Post by Martin_Head »

I've written a BASIC program to convert between my MDI image files and MDV image files.

It seems to work OK in QLAY2, but could someone try the attached MDV image that I made from one of my MDI images, in QEmulator. I'm only using the unregistered version which does not support MDV files.

On a slightly different subject. I was looking into the idea of adding the Direct Sector access routines (MD_READ, MD_WRITE etc) into the MDI Driver under QEmulator, but I don't think I will be able to do it, as the emulator gets in the way.

Anyway I'm considering adding the Direct Sector access routines as BASIC commands, but I'm wondering if there is any call/need/desire for it?
Attachments
GamesCart.zip
Zipped with ACP
(41.07 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Daniele Terdina is very approachable. I think if you talked with him, you might be pleasantly surprised at his helpfulness.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

Dave wrote:Daniele Terdina is very approachable. I think if you talked with him, you might be pleasantly surprised at his helpfulness.
What I did, was that I patched a JS ROM image to redirect then Microdrive direct sector access routines to my code. Only I then found that QEmulator does the same thing, and overwrites my changes.

It seems to insert an Illegal instruction, so I guess it Traps the Illegal instruction error when using the MDV image support.

It was just an Idea I had, but I don't really want to circumvent the features of the paid for registered version.

Ralf R.

Post by Ralf R. »

Martin_Head wrote:It was just an Idea I had, but I don't really want to circumvent the features of the paid for registered version.
If you need, Danielle gives you a 14days access for all. I think, programmer to programmer should do this.

prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

Is the driver / source still available anywhere, the link in the first post has expired....

Cheers.

Phill.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

The microdrive (and floppy) image drivers are available on the Sinclair QL Homepage -

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/utils/index.html

Look for MDIDriver

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

As I've had no feedback as to whether my image file conversion program works OK in QEmulator, I'm just going to post it anyway.

It's just a small SuperBASIC program that requires TK2 extensions.

I am also e-mailing it to Dilwyn Jones for inclusion in his Web site.
Attachments
MDIConvert.zip
Zipped with ACP
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 202 times