W11 and the Blob

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

W11 and the Blob

Post by pjw »

A blob has appeared on QPC2 and SMSQmulator under Windows 11:
Le Blob
Le Blob
The Blob.jpg (9.63 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Its the s.c. Language bar that used to languish on the task bar/system tray, but now has become an unsightly a thingy in the window. Some people, like me, who use different keyboard layouts, need it, so wed rather not switch it off. The problem is that it shines through on the emulators, and on some systems (W11 Home?) cant be put back on the task bar, only switched off - or left floating, as illustrated.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: W11 and the Blob

Post by pjw »

My grandson, who mainly uses QPC2 for all his entertainment and programming needs, called the Microsoft Help desk earlier today, but to no avail.. Here is is, demanding to speak to Mr Nadella..
@:#xx#$**!!!
@:#xx#$**!!!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:My grandson, who mainly uses QPC2 for all his entertainment and programming needs, called the Microsoft Help desk earlier today, but to no avail.. Here is is, demanding to speak to Mr Nadella..
:D :D :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:A blob has appeared on QPC2 and SMSQmulator under Windows 11:

The Blob.jpg
Its the s.c. Language bar that used to languish on the task bar/system tray, but now has become an unsightly a thingy in the window. Some people, like me, who use different keyboard layouts, need it, so wed rather not switch it off. The problem is that it shines through on the emulators, and on some systems (W11 Home?) cant be put back on the task bar, only switched off - or left floating, as illustrated.
Don't you just love it when M$ think they know best! As my PC can't be upgraded yet, even if I wanted to (even if it could, I'd hold back for a while until W11 settles down), this is a stab in the dark.

It seems the language bar can be toggled between a taskbar icon and a floating blob. This can be toggled using the following settings (which comes with a HUGE warning that it doesn't work for many people - once it's made a floating blob, a registry hack is needed for some people to turn it back off, which I've been unable to find).

This is probably the same or related to something Marcel posted this week (on ql-users list?)
languagebar.jpg

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Hi Dilwyn,
Yes thanks, I figured that out late last night. Another big update arrived in the wee hours, so I thought Id revisit all the options, and that did it. I dont know if the update had anything to do with it or not. After all, the option seems rather counter intuitive as I DO want the language bar. Only on the Advanced options menu you get the choice whether it should be on the task bar or float around on the window. The task bar option being greyed out in my case, the punter (me) might assume that this wasnt possible.
Anyway, all sorted now, so thanks to all who tried to help!
(Now, if I could only find a way to restore my toolbars that contain shortcuts to, eg, all relevant QL-related folders (to get back on topic)..)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?