QPC2v5.01 release

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

QPC2v5.01 release

Post by mk79 »

Rejoice, QPC2 got a new release today. As always free as in "free beer". Details are here: https://www.kilgus.net/2021/11/01/qpc2- ... -released/

BackToQL
ROM Dongle

Re: QPC2v5.01 release

Post by BackToQL »

Hi Marcel,
Thank you for the update.

Regards,
Peter.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Looks like a very interesting update. Thanks muchly Marcel.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Thank you Marcel! A very useful update!

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I have just gone forth and rejoiced.

I bought a LattePanda recently thinking that I might use it to make a QPC-in-keyboard computer.
The Panda is a tiny (not fpga) windows 10 PCB:- https://www.lattepanda.com/products/1.html.
LattePand.jpg
I downloaded and extracted the QPC zip file. I then created a "portable version" of the program and ran it on the Panda but there is a problem.

QPC runs so slowly (very, very slowly) in the panda, that it's unusable. I tried the program on my ancient laptop (Lenovo R60 with XP) and it runs perfectly well, so there is something about the panda (a faster machine) that is causing the problem.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

I have Windows 10 Professional running on a Intel mini PC Core i5 with 8Gb ram, it runs QPC2 v5.01 very nicely.

I tried the same Windows 10 distribution on a Core i7 computer with 4Gb ram. The speed of Windows 10 was not as good as the Vore i5 PC.

It looks to me that Windows 10 runs better in 8Gb or more. Despite what Microsoft say.

Try increasing the ram to make the computer run faster. Or try a less demanding operating system: Windows 7 or Linux.

Or maybe Microsft think Marcel is a brilliant programmer, (as we all know here) and have slowed QPC2 up...

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Tinyfpga wrote:I have just gone forth and rejoiced.

I bought a LattePanda recently thinking that I might use it to make a QPC-in-keyboard computer.
The Panda is a tiny (not fpga) windows 10 PCB:- https://www.lattepanda.com/products/1.html.
LattePand.jpg
I downloaded and extracted the QPC zip file. I then created a "portable version" of the program and ran it on the Panda but there is a problem.

QPC runs so slowly (very, very slowly) in the panda, that it's unusable. I tried the program on my ancient laptop (Lenovo R60 with XP) and it runs perfectly well, so there is something about the panda (a faster machine) that is causing the problem.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

It runs fine on this device which is a similar CPU as your latte panda. It has 4gb of ram and runs fine. But it is the z8750 variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

Thanks for your reply, Derek. There is something really odd going on with the Panda. When I say slow, I mean you can see the SMSQE windows being drawn, bit by bit. It is much,much, slower than SMSQE in SMSQmulator running on my Pi400. When you execute the "Files" program you can watch the file names appearing slowly, one by one.

I have just tried QPC1 on the Panda. The same thing happens.

Windows 10 and it's applications run just fine and QPC1 is running in DOS, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

As an aside, I read the QL Today article you mentioned in the SCR_YLIM topic. I thought it quite strange and as you
say, mostly incomprehensible.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I looked at the GPD website but could not find the model shown in your picture. Their mini machines are surprisingly expensive here in Switzerland, >1000 CHF.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Tinyfpga wrote:I looked at the GPD website but could not find the model shown in your picture. Their mini machines are surprisingly expensive here in Switzerland, >1000 CHF.
That’s because it’s really old now. And been recased. It’s a GPD Win 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk