QPC and Windows 7 64bit

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

QPC and Windows 7 64bit

Post by JonS »

I'm having frequent problems when running QPC2 on my W7 64bit. Everything runs fine, i can load, edit run a program. Then the next time I go through the loop, of test, edit, run, QPC hangs...it can be when I type "ED" or "RUN". I've tried changing the compatibility setting, but it still happens. Anyone else with a W7 64bit system seen this? If not, what settings are you using?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: QPC and Windows 7 64bit

Post by dilwyn »

JonS wrote:I'm having frequent problems when running QPC2 on my W7 64bit. Everything runs fine, i can load, edit run a program. Then the next time I go through the loop, of test, edit, run, QPC hangs...it can be when I type "ED" or "RUN". I've tried changing the compatibility setting, but it still happens. Anyone else with a W7 64bit system seen this? If not, what settings are you using?
Mine is a Windows 7 Home Premium system with QPC2 3.34 Beta 3, SMSQ/E 3.13 and QPC works fine on that (well, apart from my own programming blunders of course).

I presume you have QPC2 installed in "Program Files (x86)" - I doubt it would work in "Program Files" anyway.

If you could send me details of how you have it set up and perhaps a copy of the program causing the problem I can try it on my system and see if we can isolate which settings are causing this.

Dilwyn

Dilwyn

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Yes, it's installed in Program Files (x86).

There's no one specific program failing. Whatever code I am working on it seems to happen with, even the simplest of programs. Sometimes I can run it a couple of times before QPC hangs, other times it's more. However, it is only ever (well, until now) when EDIT/RUNning SBASIC/EasyPTR programs. I get the feeling, after the problems I've had with QPC and this machine's keyboard, that it's the machine...

I've tried running in XP and Vista compatibility modes, but that doesn't appear to help.

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Sorry, forgot to say QPC3.34 Beta 3. SMSQE 3.13.

When I say QPC hangs, it's really only SBASIC. QPAC2 buttons continue to work. I'm going to try taking out all extensions and the putting back one at a time to see if I can get anywhere.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have just had a similar experience where Windows 7 decided to force QPC2 closed (program not responding), then on trying to re-start QPC2, the boot program would run so far and then Windows would report 'Program stopped responding' and wait for me to press a key before shutting it down.

It actually appeared to hang at the same place in the boot file each time - at the loading of the signal extensions used by Unzip

Luckily for me, resetting the PC sorted this out - although I have no idea why it was causing this issue!

Marcel says that he is unaware of any issues running QPC2 on Windows 7, unless you store the QXL.WIN file in the C:\Program Files folder, as QPC2 cannot write to the QXL.WIN file.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Sounds like a perfect case of "did you turn it off and on again?"

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

I seem to be avoiding the problem at the moment.

I've removed some extensions and then am slowly adding them back in to see when the problem re-appears. Currently, I still have DATA_BIN and DBAS_BIN commented out and I am not experiencing the problem. In addition, I've stopped using QLOAD/QSAVE as the "hang/freeze" frequently seemed to be when this was in use.....whether that was a red herring, I don't know. Still, no problems at the moment and, as I am not currently using the database routines, the lack of those extensions isn't causing me a problem.