QPC2 keyboard help

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

QPC2 keyboard help

Post by JonS »

All

After my old laptop final died I have bought a new PC, and after installing QPC2, I'm having keyboard trouble!

The problems appear to be the right hand side of the keyboard, i.e. the +/=, {/[, }/],:/;, @/', ~/#, ?/ and the right hand shift key. None of these seem to work correctly....I can't seem to get an = sign, which is pretty important when coding! Everything works ok on the PC itself. The keys give the expected characters, localisation says UK keyboard, etc.

Help! Is there some way to configure the keyboard handling that I've missed?

New machine is W7, as you'd expect these days.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: QPC2 keyboard help

Post by RWAP »

Hmm - I use QPC2 on W7 Pro (64 bit) - which version of W7 do you have?

Also what is the version number of your QPC2?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

JonS wrote:All

After my old laptop final died I have bought a new PC, and after installing QPC2, I'm having keyboard trouble!
The problems appear to be the right hand side of the keyboard, i.e. the +/=, {/[, }/],:/;, @/', ~/#, ?/ and the right hand shift key. None of these seem to work correctly....I can't seem to get an = sign, which is pretty important when coding! Everything works ok on the PC itself. The keys give the expected characters, localisation says UK keyboard, etc.
Help! Is there some way to configure the keyboard handling that I've missed?
New machine is W7, as you'd expect these days.
I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and QPC works perfectly on that.

This will probably sound too obvious: experiment with the Country Code Setting in the startup dialogue box. If that dialogue box fails to appear when you start QPC2, restart QPC2 and hold down the SHIFT key (whichever works!) to get the dialogue box. This will be 44 for UK, 49 for German (just like international telephone dialling codes), 1 for USA (usually works for UK laptops as the UK laptop keyboard layout is closer to USA keyboard). This can be customised for non-standard keyboards, or any other country keyboard layout - there's an article on my website somewhere about setting them up on http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/smsqegd2/index.html

If that produces no joy, ensure that you have no keyboard translate tables set up for your old machine if you simply ported everything over (e.g. from a backup of that machine).

Next step (unless Marcel has a magic answer) would be to see if you could create suitable keyboard tables with the Clavier program http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/misc/clavier.zip but of course this will be hard work if half your keyboard doesn't work.

Might be worth a message to Marcel Kilgus in case he knows of a specific problem in these cases. I know he must get loads of emails and probably can't reply to each one, but I have always found him to be extremely helpful and patient in trying to solve such issues (apart from when I had a Toshiba laptop some years ago, but he won't want to be reminded about that)

Dilwyn

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

I've tried country code 1 (USA), I thought that may be the best option, but still a problem.

I'm on W7 Home Premium 64bit and a Lenovo B320 All-in-one desktop machine.

When I get some time, I'll download Clavier and give that a go.

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Right, I've downloaded and tried Clavier.....not sure if I've used it correctly, but it shows the correct characters on the correct keys....they just don't come out when I type! I've tried to change the problem keys and nothing actually changes, I still get the original (incorrect) characters.

I'm on QPC II 3.34 Beta 3

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Update:

In QPCII I have the following problems:
Right hand shift key is not recognised, plus the following:
Windows, QPCII,Shift
`, t which repeats until another key is hit,nothing
-, -, _
=, q,Q
[, w, W
], [,{
', e, E
# ,] ,}
\,nothing,nothing

Can't seem to get the above to format okay, but there are three columns. First is what W7 shows, what QPCII shows and finally QPCII with SHIFT pressed as well.

Any ideas you may have would be appreciated as I currently can't access the equals key and other keys.

ps. tried to mail Marcel via his website but it just gets rejected saying fill in all fields (which I had!).

Just downloaded Q-emulator 3.1.2 for Windows and tried that...no keyboard problems on that, so it's not a general problem with the keyboard.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have sent a PM with Marcel's email address as this will help.

It seems odd - almost as though the key mappings are completely wrong - you didn't say what version of QPC2 you are using... I have v3.33 (running v3.13 of SMSQ/e) - this appears at the top of the startup screen.

JonS
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonS »

Rich

Thanks, will email Marcel today.

I'm on QPC II 3.34 Beta 3.....I did mention this, but lost in all the other info I guess.

Thanks again.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

JonS wrote:Rich

Thanks, will email Marcel today.

I'm on QPC II 3.34 Beta 3.....I did mention this, but lost in all the other info I guess.
I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and QPC works perfectly on that.
Thanks again.
This is the same setup (Windows and QPC2 version) as I use so we know it's capable of working on such a system, all other things being equal. I hope Marcel can come up with something to help you.

Dilwyn

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I had this problem with my new laptop (TOSHIBA) with key mappings posted here a few months ago, sadly never resolved the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/