QPC2 v5 released

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
TMD2003
Trump Card

Re: QPC2 v5 released

Post by TMD2003 »

Grand! Let's see what I can make this do, now.

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

TMD2003 wrote:While you're all having fun with this new version, am I missing a trick here? And it sounds so obvious. I can install QPC2 v5 just fine, but at no point have I ever seen the configuration box on page 6 of the manual. The implication is that it should appear as part of the installation process,
Ah, I see how you could get that impression. But the configuration is not part of the setup process. Writing manuals is hard, especially when you already know all the answers. Dilwyn is right, hold SHIFT while starting QPC. Holding shift MIGHT also have the side effect of QPC starting buried below other windows, at least I think that was a "feature" of some Windows versions, so beware.
But I know I've seen it before with the previous version back in October when I was investigating all the various QL emulators out there, and that version hasn't left an .ini file that I could edit manually, nor is there any QPC folder within %appdata%.
C:\ProgramData\QPC perhaps?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The QPC2 manual is really well written and easy to understand.

The problem is, most people can not be bothered to take the time to read the manual.

I think if someone has taken the time tobwrite documentation, then I will read it.

Regards,

Derek
TMD2003
Trump Card

Post by TMD2003 »

mk79 wrote:C:\ProgramData\QPC perhaps?
Spot on. I'll note that for future reference.
Derek_Stewart wrote: The QPC2 manual is really well written and easy to understand.
The problem is, most people can not be bothered to take the time to read the manual.
I think if someone has taken the time tobwrite documentation, then I will read it.
That it is, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in this instance: is there any (easy) way of making QPC2 recognise .MDV files without trying to trick it into thinking it's something else? By the looks of the manual (see, I do read it), the only way is to start QPC2 with extra command line parameters (i.e. win_use, flp_use, dos_use) and even then that might not be what I'm looking for. If it doesn't, this isn't a deal-breaker, I'll stick with changing the DOS1 directory. But if it does work, this is my way of trying to be the middle-man between QL experts and QL noobs, of which I sit more at the latter end but I'm trying to make life easier for those in the outside world.
Last edited by TMD2003 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
TMD2003
Trump Card

Post by TMD2003 »

(double post which I can't delete, apparently)

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:The QPC2 manual is really well written and easy to understand.
Thanks Derek, appreciated. I tried to describe everything as well as I could, but I guess it can still be overwhelming for people that are not really used to the QL or advanced QLs. Like how often people don't understand why the Basic is so small in the corner when they select a higher resolution... it's so simple but still people often just don't understand the concept.

Cheers.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

TMD2003 wrote:That it is, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in this instance: is there any (easy) way of making QPC2 recognise .MDV files without trying to trick it into thinking it's something else?
QPC can do a lot of things, but MDV images are a pure retro thing and that is not the usage scenario QPC tries to fulfil. QemuLator can do that better. But actually Martin Head implemented a driver that makes QPC read MDV images called "MDI Driver" http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/utils/MDIdriver108.zip Not sure if installing an extra driver qualifies as "easy" though ;)
By the looks of the manual (see, I do read it), the only way is to start QPC2 with extra command line parameters (i.e. win_use, flp_use, dos_use) and even then that might not be what I'm looking for.
You can rename any device to MDV, yes, but to read images you need MDI. I don't really get the usage scenario, though. MDV images might be good for games or whatnot, which QPC doesn't support that well anyway, but with QPC you can easily have .WIN files with hundred of megabytes of software on it. Or the DOS device, which can now save all kinds of data and executables, too.
But if it does work, this is my way of trying to be the middle-man between QL experts and QL noobs, of which I sit more at the latter end but I'm trying to make life easier for those in the outside world.
Sure, thanks for trying. I've already altered slightly the "quick start" section after your feedback, it will flow into the next manual release whenever that may be.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

mk79 wrote:
TMD2003 wrote:That it is, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in this instance: is there any (easy) way of making QPC2 recognise .MDV files without trying to trick it into thinking it's something else?
QPC can do a lot of things, but MDV images are a pure retro thing and that is not the usage scenario QPC tries to fulfil. QemuLator can do that better. But actually Martin Head implemented a driver that makes QPC read MDV images called "MDI Driver" http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/utils/MDIdriver108.zip Not sure if installing an extra driver qualifies as "easy" though ;)
Just to be clear, The MDI driver will not work directly with .MDV files. You have to convert them to the MDI format first. There are built in CONVERT2_xxx commands to do this.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Martin_Head wrote:Just to be clear, The MDI driver will not work directly with .MDV files. You have to convert them to the MDI format first. There are built in CONVERT2_xxx commands to do this.
All right, thanks. I'm sure I read all of this when I tried it some time, but I'm not doing too much with MDVs right now ;)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

I often wonder what is the fascination and obsession with MDV's in this day and age?

I can sort of see the attraction of copying an original commercial game off MDV into an image, but beyond that, at a time when 99% of cartridges need refelting because they are well past their use by date?