QPC2 v5 released

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QPC2 v5 released

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

The extra <CR> control codes are a symptom of the other operating systems, I use QD to strip off the Carriage Returns.
Sure, but if your carefully crafted SBASIC program attempts to read a file edited with QD in QPC2 V5, it may now not recognise a file that was previously harmlessly edited with QD in V4.xx.

Code: Select all

Line<LF>

is not the same as

Line<CR><LF>
Try INPUTing such a line. In case 1) the LENgth is 4, in 2) the LENgth is 5.
Is the new sound commands going to be documented, would the QSound documentation be relative to the QPC2 v5 command?
The dev8_extras_new_QSound_txt file appears to be corrupt in the zipped source WIN version of SMSQ/E 3.37. But the Qsound manual it refers to (on Dilwyn's site) is the correct documentation to use (for the relevant bits).

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

pjw wrote:So heres my first problem: I tested the assertion that the host OS'es file system could now be used as a (better) alternative to the native one. There is a wee problem with that though. For example, save a simple text file of a few lines in QD to DOS2_something_txt. Load it back up again. All swell; it looks the same. But it isnt the same file: Theres an extra CR on every line. COPY DOS2_something_txt TO scr and you can see it!

That breaks a lot of programs that rely on lines ending on LF only. Is this a bug? Or is there a way of switching this feature off? Or am I missing something..?
I see what you're seeing, but I don't have the foggiest idea where the extra CRs are coming from. Line ending translation is not a feature I ever implemented in the DOS device... I can only assume this is a "feature" of QD, but one that I'm not aware of either. Will have to dig a bit.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

<sigh> Nothing is ever simple when it comes to programming, is it!. I hope its not hard to find and deal with!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Oh well, that didn't take long:

; 7.09  Auto-CR for load and save of DOS/TOS compatible files implemented.
[...]
; 9.00  First fully relocatable version.
[...]
;       Full auto-detection of MSDOS-type disks for <CR> handling.
For v5 I reimplemented iof.xing and now just truthfully report that the disc is an MSDOS type disc.. didn't know QD (or anybody) automatically reacts to that... hm. But that certainly is an undesired effect.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Is the new sound commands going to be documented, would the QSound documentation be relative to the QPC2 v5 command?
Sure, eventually I hope it all gets documented, I just don't have the time (nor mood really) for it. But basically all of the QSOUND manual still applies, except that the machine code function AY_WRALL and AY_RDALL must have the chip number in D1 as well. Register descriptions and remaining functions are also available from keys_qsound in the sources.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

For what it's worth, I've converted the QSOUND/QPRINT manual on my website into a Word .docx file, which should make it easier to make a manual for the new sound emulation if anyone has the time and knowledge to do this.
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dilwyn wrote:For what it's worth, I've converted the QSOUND/QPRINT manual on my website into a Word .docx file, which should make it easier to make a manual for the new sound emulation if anyone has the time and knowledge to do this.
http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html
Oh, wow, that's pretty cool, thanks!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Until we get an "official" documentation, here's a list of the 15 commands and functions syntax in the QSound emulation in the new QPC2, to be read in conjunction with the QSOUND manual of course. The details are "lifted" from the assembler sources in the iod_qsound directory of SMSQ/E sources. Not being too familiar with the SMSQ/E sources, I can't be too sure I've got this all correct,

Over the coming days I'll see if I can produce a bare bones guide as I get used to it. Marcel - feel free to shout at me when I get it wrong!

Procedures:
BELL
EXPLODE
SHOOT
SOUND n,f,v
POKE_AY (chip),r,v
LIST_AY (chip),r0,r1,r2 ... r13
PLAY channel,string
RELEASE <ch>
HOLD n
ENVELOPE shape, period

Functions:
version=AY_VER$
count=AY_CHIPS
type = AY_TYPE
v=PEEK_AY((chip),r)
val=PLAYING(ch)

TMD2003
Trump Card

Post by TMD2003 »

While you're all having fun with this new version, am I missing a trick here? And it sounds so obvious. I can install QPC2 v5 just fine, but at no point have I ever seen the configuration box on page 6 of the manual. The implication is that it should appear as part of the installation process, but it didn't, and I can find no way to force it to appear - left-click here, right-click there, re-run the setup program, no sign of it. But I know I've seen it before with the previous version back in October when I was investigating all the various QL emulators out there, and that version hasn't left an .ini file that I could edit manually, nor is there any QPC folder within %appdata%.

I do at least need to have a look at QPC2 in high-colour Mode 32, but as it is I'm stuck with the regular four colours and no way of navigating to a new path for win2_, dos2_ or any other device I might need - short of downgrading back to QPC2 v4, and the setup I had running for that is languishing on a hard drive that's out of action for the foreseeable future...

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Hold down shift key as you start QPC2 to see the configuration dialogue (there's a tick box in that menu which has no doubt been ticked at some stage)
config_dialogue4.jpg
Last edited by dilwyn on Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct typo, and add screen dump.