QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
XorA
Site Admin

Re: QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Post by XorA »

tcat wrote:
So I took out the load address on sQLux as it never worked on uQlx anyway.
Ah, removing the load address, did it!
Thanks
Thanks, I’ll try and add some comparability with uqlxrc files next I’m playing with that area of code. I thought I had I guess I never completed it fully or something :)

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I refer to Sparrowhawk's post dated Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:28 pm:- "I also now have SMSQmulator (Java 11 version) running. Very, very nice indeed".

I tried to create a new topic "SMSQE on a Raspberry Pi 400" that went astray (It went to the Dreaded Rulebook). I have tried and failed many times to get SMSQmulator to run in an unmodified Pi 400.
As far as I can see JAVA11 is installed as standard in the OS delivered with the 400 but the .JAR file that I extracted from Wolfgang Lenerz's site is not recognised by the PI. It is seen as a .ZIP file. Unzipping it does not help.

Would Sparrowhawk be willing to provide a step by step guide on how to run SMSQmulator on a PI?

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Are you double-clicking the jar file? That's probably going to open it as an archive because that's what a jar file is, it's a zip file by another name!

Here's what I have just done on my rapsberry Pi 4 (4 Gb) which is effectively your Pi 400, but with a slower clock.

Code: Select all

Java -version

openjdk version "11.0.9.1" 2020-11-04
I then downloaded using the "SMSQmulator for Java 11" link on Wolfgang's web site using wget:

cd ~/Downloads
mkdir SMSQmulator
cd SMSQmulator
wget http://www.wlenerz.com/SMSQmulator/SMSQmulator11231.zip"

unzip SMSQmulator11231.zip
Because a jar file is actually a zip file in a frock, double clicking on one in the File Explorer will indeed open it as an archive. Mine does the same. Worry not!

Open the ReadMe.pdf file and speed over to page 7. There's a section on "Starting the Emulator" -- it says you need to run:

java -jar entire_path_to_jar_file
So that's what we need to do. In a terminal session, on my system, I ran it thus:

java -jar SMSQmulator.jar
Because (a) I'm a useless typist, also lazy, (b) just to see what would happen, and (c) because I was in the correct directory where the jar file lived!

It worked.

So, now we know how it works, lets create a desktop icon so we don't have to remember this all the time!

Open the text editor (Accessories menu) and type the following:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=SMSQmulator
Comment=Sinclair QL Emulator
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=gnome-remote-desktop
Exec=java -jar /home/pi/Download/SMSQmulator/SMSQmulator.jar
Path=/home/pi/Download/SMSQmulator
Obviously, change the two final lines to reflect the full path to where you downloaded and extracted the zip file.

Save that on your Desktop as "SMSQmulator.desktop" when done, you should see a new icon appear on the desktop it will have a default icon. Right click it and select "properties".

On the "Permissions" tab, click the drop-down beside "Execute" and choose "Only Owner". Only the pi user can execute this file.

Click OK.

Double click the new icon on the desktop. Do you get a prompt that says "this text file "SMSQmulator" seems to be an executable script...."? If so:

Open the File manager utility.
Click "Edit" then "Preferences".
Click "General"
Tick the checkbox beside "Do not ask options on executable launch".
Click "Close".

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Boo! Norman beat me to it :D

For what it's now worth, my version is here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3688&p=40005#p40005

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I had all this running on a Raspberry PI3B, 5 years old, see:

https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... ock#p13514

I start SMSQmulator on a Core i7 Computer by a programme laucher or Desktop Icon, saves typing the command line in. As stated above...

I think SMSQmulator on the PI is slow, better to use SuQLx. Pity it does not run SMSQE Gold.

Regards,

Derek
BackToQL
ROM Dongle

Post by BackToQL »

NormanDunbar wrote: Here's what I have just done on my raspberry Pi 4 (4 Gb) which is effectively your Pi 400, but with a slower clock.
Thanks for the instructions Norman.

Regards,
Peter.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I decided to treat myself to a new 1920 x 1200 monitor. It was on special offer and I had not bought monitor for a very long time.
One of the reasons for buying it was to see how SMSQE performed on a PI 400 at high resolutions. I see that Derek Stewart felt that
the PI is a bit slow. SMSQE on PI 400 is not as fast as on a PC but it is fast enough for me.

I used the OS that came with the PI and am now slightly more familiar with it, and its inbuilt programming environment. I find SMSQE
significantly more enjoyable to use than Raspberry PI OS although the PI connected to my TV is a much better media device than my
existing set-top-box

I have attached two screen shots of SMSQE at 1920 x 1200 on my PI 400 and I would like thank Norman and Sparrowhawk for their advice
on how to get SMSQE running on a PI.
2021-05-02-230341_1920x1200_scrot.jpg
2021-05-03-110050_1920x1200_scrot.jpg

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

That looks amazing! Good to hear you got sorted running SMSQ on your Pi 400.

Have fun.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Tinyfpga wrote:I decided to treat myself to a new 1920 x 1200 monitor. It was on special offer and I had not bought monitor for a very long time.
One of the reasons for buying it was to see how SMSQE performed on a PI 400 at high resolutions. I see that Derek Stewart felt that
the PI is a bit slow. SMSQE on PI 400 is not as fast as on a PC but it is fast enough for me.
I meant, the Pi3B+, which I ran SMSQmulator on it, okay, but slow.

A better solution would be sQLux, but no SMSQ/E ...

The Pi400 is much faster than the Pi3B, so maybe a good solution,

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote: A better solution would be sQLux, but no SMSQ/E ...
Maybe I should look into that :-D