QDOS For Amiga

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

QDOS For Amiga

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

Hello everyone, can you tell me if you can install SMSQE on the Amiga QL emulator?

thanks

Giorgio

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QDOS For Amiga

Post by Peter »

Hi Giorgio,
there is no software called "the Amiga QL emulator". So what do you mean?
If you mean Amiga-QDOS (also known as QDOS4amiga) or QDOS Classic, then not. As the names suggest, those are variants of QDOS.
Peter

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Peter wrote:Hi Giorgio,
there is no software called "the Amiga QL emulator". So what do you mean?
If you mean Amiga-QDOS (also known as QDOS4amiga) or QDOS Classic, then not. As the names suggest, those are variants of QDOS.
Peter
sorry: QDOS for Amiga..

ok, thanks

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Also sorry... I should have concluded that from the topic ;)

By the way, QDOS Classic is more developed than Amiga-QDOS, probably the better choice, especially if you have a "higher" CPU.

As mentioned in the hardware topic "68060 based QL system" it would be interesting to know whether it runs on Amiga "Vampire" accelerator. If you use that accelerator, it would be nice if you could let us know.

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Peter wrote:Also sorry... I should have concluded that from the topic ;)

By the way, QDOS Classic is more developed than Amiga-QDOS, probably the better choice, especially if you have a "higher" CPU.

As mentioned in the hardware topic "68060 based QL system" it would be interesting to know whether it runs on Amiga "Vampire" accelerator. If you use that accelerator, it would be nice if you could let us know.
I'm almost tempted to do an experiment:
take SMSQE_GOLD and run it on QDOS CLASSIC :-)

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Save your time, that is completely hopeless. Amiga-QDOS and QDOS Classic do not emulate a QL and certainly not a QL with GoldCard. They are QDOS operating systems for the Amiga.

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Peter wrote:Save your time, that is completely hopeless. Amiga-QDOS and QDOS Classic do not emulate a QL and certainly not a QL with GoldCard. They are QDOS operating systems for the Amiga.
Ah ... I did not understand this ... I thought they were emulators!
(On the Dilwyn Jones website he is described as an emulator ..)
(it's not me physically doing the tests but a friend of mine in the Quantum Technology group).

In any case do you think it is better QDOS Classic rather than QDOS4Amiga? ...
Why?

Giorgio

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have an Amiga A600 which I have fitted a Vampire 2.

The Amiga lives on the floor under a chair at present, too busy to play with it.

I will get the Amiga out over the weekend and try out the Amiga QL Emulators to see if it runs on the Vampire 2.

Simon Goodwin, had it running on the A4000 withch had a 68060 card in, so maybe it stands a chance to run.

Just got to read the AmigaDOS manual.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Giorgio Garabello wrote:Ah ... I did not understand this ... I thought they were emulators!
QDOS Classic is a JS ROM equivalent, with all machine dependant routines patched out.
Giorgio Garabello wrote:In any case do you think it is better QDOS Classic rather than QDOS4Amiga? ...
Why?
QDOS Classic is better, because it has a number of bug fixes, built-in exception handling, improved floating-point output routines, movable system variables, etc.

Also, it is available for Q40/Q60. (I even ported QDOS Classic to the Q68, but no time to release it yet.)

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Peter wrote:
Giorgio Garabello wrote:Ah ... I did not understand this ... I thought they were emulators!
QDOS Classic is a JS ROM equivalent, with all machine dependant routines patched out.
Giorgio Garabello wrote:In any case do you think it is better QDOS Classic rather than QDOS4Amiga? ...
Why?
QDOS Classic is better, because it has a number of bug fixes, built-in exception handling, improved floating-point output routines, movable system variables, etc.

Also, it is available for Q40/Q60. (I even ported QDOS Classic to the Q68, but no time to release it yet.)
However it is a pity that there is no SMSQE for amiga, given the large number of existing AMIGA machines ...