QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
XorA
Aurora

Re: QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Postby XorA » Mon May 03, 2021 7:03 pm

XorA wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:A better solution would be sQLux, but no SMSQ/E ...

Maybe I should look into that :-D

Althoigh the uQlx license is troublesome from a code integration point of view!

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Postby Peter » Thu May 06, 2021 2:03 pm

XorA wrote:Althoigh the uQlx license is troublesome from a code integration point of view!

Does it still contain that "maximum commercial copying fee must not exceed DM 10" clause? :?

Anyway, I don't think SMSQ/E for UQLX would have to be part of the UQLX code covered by that license. Minerva and QDOS also don't.

XorA
Aurora

Postby XorA » Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm

Peter wrote:
XorA wrote:Althoigh the uQlx license is troublesome from a code integration point of view!

Does it still contain that "maximum commercial copying fee must not exceed DM 10" clause? :?

Anyway, I don't think SMSQ/E for UQLX would have to be part of the UQLX code covered by that license. Minerva and QDOS also don't.

It wasnt the SMSq/e license that's the issue, its just with it being a slightly odd license I am loath to put in time for major new features especially if I was to cheat and use libraries to supply some/all of them!

It does and or doesnt contain that clause depending how you read subsequent item!

Anyway, Pi5 will be basically indistinguishable from a PC for running JAVA so SMSQmulator is the sensible choice!

mk79
Aurora

Postby mk79 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 pm

XorA wrote:It wasnt the SMSq/e license that's the issue, its just with it being a slightly odd license I am loath to put in time for major new features especially if I was to cheat and use libraries to supply some/all of them!
What's odd about the BSD licence?

Edit: OK, I now think this is about the uQLx license. It wasn't really clear there.

XorA
Aurora

Postby XorA » Thu May 06, 2021 5:08 pm

mk79 wrote:
XorA wrote:It wasnt the SMSq/e license that's the issue, its just with it being a slightly odd license I am loath to put in time for major new features especially if I was to cheat and use libraries to supply some/all of them!
What's odd about the BSD licence?

Edit: OK, I now think this is about the uQLx license. It wasn't really clear there.

Nothing wrong with BSD license, I do a lot of work under that with my paying job.

Yes was about uQlx license.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Postby Derek_Stewart » Fri May 07, 2021 9:55 am

XorA wrote:Anyway, Pi5 will be basically indistinguishable from a PC for running JAVA so SMSQmulator is the sensible choice!

Pi5 ?

Funny, I thought the latest Rapsberry Pi was the Pi4B...

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Postby NormanDunbar » Fri May 07, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi Derek,

the Pi5 is coming, Eben Upton said so recently. He's not giving much else away though.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-Softwa ... 1484257898, https://www.apress.com/gb/book/9781484257890
XorA
Aurora

Postby XorA » Fri May 07, 2021 12:47 pm

NormanDunbar wrote:the Pi5 is coming, Eben Upton said so recently. He's not giving much else away though.

The major complaint about Pi4 is even though it has PCIe it doesn't support NVMe storage, so that is my prediction. Plus faster 64bit cores.

The Rockchip devices I have which use NVMe as storage are really useful for software development.