On the look-out for Sinclair QL Personalities

A place to discuss general QL issues.
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Re: On the look-out for Sinclair QL Personalities

Post by 1024MAK »

Driving this even further off topic :shock: how many have streets, avenues, roads, lanes or areas of land with the same name as your surname. Google maps throws up at least one street, one avenue, one road, and one lane for my surname. And I know there is an area of land somewhere not that far from Nantwich with the same name. This is all just in the UK.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I just get a few roads, a way and a village with a now an used railway station.

However in the first Harry Potter film, the first road you see is mine :)

Did anyone catch the English/German translation by Microsoft/Skype software being demoed?

http://recode.net/2014/05/27/microsofts ... -of-babel/

Pretty cool!

Edinburgh anyone?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Any idea who this might be:

MSR: Pigsty Software,
in Bishtopston, near Bristol

Martin Head and I came across a Morse Code Trainer program written by 'MSR' of Pigsty Software, I'd like to try to track him/them down to ask if they have any more QL software we can preserve.

The M in MSR stands for (a different) Martin, that’s all I know - it’s contained in the program, which is PD and now on my website at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/misc/index.html.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Added Maurice Computers from Thirsk - would be good to get a hold of some of their hardware designs for sound and speech interfaces

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:Added Maurice Computers from Thirsk - would be good to get a hold of some of their hardware designs for sound and speech interfaces
Second that - back in the 1980s I had one of their QSV400 speech and sound synthesiser and it was brilliant. I think Quanta library still has somewhere a version of 3D Noughts and Crosses I wrote for use with the speech synthesiser.

It was a 'dead-end' device which couldn't be used with anything else at the same time unless you had a backplane (which I didn't at the time). I eventually gave it away or sold it to someone, pity, looking back.

Dilwyn

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

If we know who ran Maurice Computers, that might help - the address which appears in QL World (in 1987) is a bungalow which was only sold late last year (no other sales since 1990) - so potentially the new owners would still have a forwarding address for the guy (or his family)...

Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

I would like to get in touch of many QL stuff possibile ;)

Great Rich!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

List at start updated - I have now found Paul Tuck :)

Ralf - did you try writing to Jurgen Falkenburg?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

List updated again - have now (at long last) managed to find Steven Hollywood of Arrakis - the search for him was not helped by the fact that there was another company called Arrakis in the early 80s which did educational software (and were then bought out by a Canadian company and still trade as Arrakis)..

There was also a division of BT plc called Arrakis (which still seems to exist based in Spain).

Steve Hollywood used to work for BT and I found him by guessing he might have - he also registered a few patents in his name and moved to New Zealand...

Just waiting to hear back from him about copyright - might be an issue if he doesn't know what happened to Ian Williams who was the co-author...

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Does anyone know anything about the following:

Francesco Balena - wrote QL Expert and Mega Toolbox for Compware
Philippe Lagarrigue - who wrote IDIS SE
Roger Woodhouse - who wrote Super Sprite Generator