SCART cable for QL

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

SCART cable for QL

Post by dilwyn »

I just noticed this on eBay, a company called RetroShack in Lancashire offering QL SCART cables for £9.95, free standard postage (£6.95 express) to UK, will supply overseas too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinclair-QL-H ... rid=229508
While this allows you to connect a QL to a SCART TV or similar, many TVs and monitors will still lose a character or two on the edge of the screen, of course.

robheaton
Site Admin

Re: SCART cable for QL

Post by robheaton »

I've used RetroShack for numerous cables over the years.
They provide top quality kit and their support is top notch too!

I have a couple of their QL Scart cables, they work well, I loose approx 3 characters in Monitor mode, but I don't think I loose any in TV mode.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

robheaton wrote:I've used RetroShack for numerous cables over the years.
They provide top quality kit and their support is top notch too!

I have a couple of their QL Scart cables, they work well, I loose approx 3 characters in Monitor mode, but I don't think I loose any in TV mode.
I too have a SCART cable for my QL from retrocomputershack (along with various other SCART cables for other machines).
For those that don't know, it is the "video chip" in the QL that causes the "lost" 3 characters, as the QL sends the video information for these characters before the TV or monitor is ready to display them (in simple terms). This should only happen when the QL is in "monitor" mode. I get the same with my Sharp Aquos LCD TV. When the QL is in TV mode, it is fine :D

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Is there any way to restore the lost characters? A replacement video chip perhaps?

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Ok with my ever decreasing knowledge of electronics, can someone explain why this wouldn't work.

On Dilwyn's Documentation page there is a section on monitors designed specifically for the QL, the only one to have a circuit diagram is the "SINCLAIR VISION-QL MONITOR MANUAL"

Its in two halves, and two different levels of quality, tone and colour.

I've joined them together, corrected the colouring, tone and contrast as best as possible to get a reasonable full circuit diagram (enclosed is a lower resolution one, Dilwyn if you want the highest resolution image let me know but keep the two halves you currently have)

Assuming that:
  • 1. The vacuum tube is a standard version vacuum tube and not some really special extra wide scan something type.

2. The chip IC501 - HA11259 (I think, as I cannot read it clearly, enhanced or otherwise) can be obtained
ql-ic.png
ql-ic.png (75.78 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
Then the rest of the circuitry is made up of discrete components and could be replicated to some extent. Could not then instead of the HT circuitry be left out also the tube and the drivers for the guns, and the RGB signals that go to the tube circuitry be isolated and buffered in to the RGB of a SCART RGB.

I am assuming that somewhere in the circuitry the sync issue (3 character missing) has been taken care of.

Or am I just looking at this too simplistically?

It just seems so frustratingly feasible :(

I have done a search for the chip to see if a data sheet can be obtained for a better understanding, no luck so far.

So three questions for you QLer's out there (besides the first one at the beginning of this post)
  • a. Does anyone have a circuit diagram of the Microvitec Cub QL RGB monitor?

b. Does anyone still have a SINCLAIR VISION-QL MONITOR where they could look at the circuit and identify the actual chip number?

c. Can anyone read or know the actual chip used in the SINCLAIR VISION-QL MONITOR or have the data sheet for it?
QL-Monitor-1-small.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

robheaton wrote:Is there any way to restore the lost characters? A replacement video chip perhaps?
If your one of the lucky ones a GBS8220 RGB->VGA converter can capture and convert the whole picture in monitor mode.

G

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

The problem is that the QL produces a non-standard video signal in monitor mode :( This is a timing problem. Not a processing problem. Messing with the RGB signals cannot change the timing of the information in these signals. Unless you capture and store the information (like the GBS8220 RGB->VGA converters do).

In theory, a lot of the older CRT based TVs and monitors that use discrete circuitry (not those which are made up of complex chips) could be adjusted or modified to display the full QL screen in monitor mode. This is called overscan, meaning that the guns in the CRT start producing each display line earlier than the spec says (and finish later).

Modern TVs however use complex chips (that need no adjustments, and so cannot be adjusted) that work to the correct specification.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Many thanks Mark, that reply was very useful, I will now investigate the GBS8220 RGB->VGA system which on eBay is available from a variety of sources.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

At the same time, you need to acquire a 5v DC supply capable of delivering 1A. This does not come with the board, but you will need it.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

There is the microvetic cub service manual - http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-mo ... splays.pdf - not sure if there are any differences to this one for the QL version...