Sinclair QL Resource Website

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Sinclair QL Resource Website

Post by RWAP »

Does anyone fancy working to create a one stop resource website for the QL.

I can't see Quanta ever getting around to making their own website a one stop shop.

I don't have the time or inclination to do my own one stop shop for the QL.

However, Dave on here has the great domain name sinclairql.com

I was just wondering what we could all draw together to appear on one single website to make it easier for new users and attracting non-QL owners...

My suggestions would be:
a) The QL Forums (with a section for Quanta members!)
b) The Sinclair QL Homepage
c) The QL Wiki
d) (If Quanta wanted it) - a Quanta section...
e) Some how to guides on setting up the QL, simple repairs to the QL and its add-ons
f) Maybe the documentation and manuals which has been pulled together by badared on http://sinclairql.speccy.org/archivo/docs/docs.htm - these would need tidying up with the replacement manuals on the Sinclair QL Homepage.

What else would people like to be brought together (and could it be done)?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Sinclair QL Resource Website

Post by vanpeebles »

It could maybe take the form of some kind of landing page (maybe done in wordpress) that advertisers/links the relevant sections etc. That why we could all push that one site instead of everyone's individually.

A bit like the old style web rings etc

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I volunteer the domain name sinclairql.com, including managing any custom subdomains/DNS, and email addresses at the domain if anyone wants one.

I also have some linux web servers and can set up hosting for anything anyone wants. No charge.

I was working on setting up something grand, but I got distracted over the summer - being in Texas, summer only ended about a week ago.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

There is already a QL forum (which we are using). There is a QL Wiki page that Rich Mellor is hosting. Dilwyn has pretty much the default software download site.

I don't see a need to replace these, but having single page that links to all of these would be useful, esp. to those new to the QL.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

swensont wrote:There is already a QL forum (which we are using). There is a QL Wiki page that Rich Mellor is hosting. Dilwyn has pretty much the default software download site.

I don't see a need to replace these, but having single page that links to all of these would be useful, esp. to those new to the QL.
Well, links to those are on the Quanta home page http://www.quanta.org.uk

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

My idea is that they should all be brought together under one umbrella - a page with loads of links on it does not make for pleasant reading...

All of the sites would simply be accessible from the one URL (and on the same server) making it a heck of a lot easier to find and move between them. You could then just have a navigation pane at the top or side, which goes between each section....

It makes a lot more sense than running 4 or 5 different websites, some of which have the same or similar information - for example, there are links on the Quanta website, links on my site, links on the Sinclair QL Homepage - keeping them all up to date is horrendous!

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Alternatively you could create the new page as the Links page and have a single link on the existing link pages on the various sites that points to it, e.g. if people don't want to give up control of their own existing domains/servers (which could well be the case).

Just a thought.

Edit: when I say give up control of their domains and servers, obviously they'd still have control those to do with as they wish, but the code bases would now be on someone else's setup.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It might be possible to embed the whole lot.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

iframes...? eek :/

I think embedding would just look odd - multiple designs within a wrapper frame might make for a poor user experience. But I'm not a UI expert, I do back end work so I may not be the best person to chip in here! :D

However, whilst I'm here... (heh!)
I'd have thought that a well designed, simple but informative landing page with a links section would be best. On the landing page itself it could link directly to the three or four major QL sites, and these should have reciprocal links back to the sinclairql.com page, maybe using a graphic that is consistent so that the user always knows what to look for.

That would be simple to implement. A fully integrated one stop shop for all QL resources whilst a great idea might suffer from the same fate as previous attempts at similar things - getting bogged down in implementation and people losing interest if progress is not visible.

However, if it could be done, it would be pretty cool.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Sounds about right :) Maybe just have a front page as an animation and you can scroll "blocks" left or right, each block would be the website with a screenshot or two plus a description etc.