Benchmark Request

A place to discuss general QL issues.
datajerk
ROM Dongle

Benchmark Request

Post by datajerk »

Hello all,

I've been studying the programming and performance (as available in consumer/hobby systems) of the 8-bit (and now 8-bit bus) processors used in popular consumer/hobby systems (or system vendors) from 1974-1986. An individual on comp.os.cpm suggested that I also benchmark the 68008. That is the first I had heard of it (68000 sure, but the 68008? :-). After some searching it appears the only "popular" consumer/hobby system to use the 68008 was the QL.

I started using the OS/X version of Q-emuLator (very nice!) last weekend to time my code. However, I'd like physical verification if possible.

I've posted my binaries and source here: http://asciiexpress.net/files/QL

To run, use something like this:

cls:adr=RESPR(3*1024):LBYTES mdv1_piq,adr:CALL adr

I am most interested in 5 runs of piq on a physical 68008 QL. piq will compute 1000 digits of Pi in about 13 seconds, but will not display it (2 seconds lost to displaying to screen). Counting cycles using a simulator I estimated a runtime of 8 seconds @ 7.5 MHz, however I understand that memory access averages around 8 cycles (instead of 4) because of video and DRAM refresh.

There is a separate pi in that same directory if you want to see the output. I'd like to get the timing of that as well.

Thank you very much for your help,

Egan

P.S. I think the QL is the most incredible looking retro system. IMHO, the industrial design would not look out of place today. Post QL, the only system that comes close would be the NeXT cube. I must have a QL (with matching monitor) on my desk.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Benchmark Request

Post by vanpeebles »

datajerk wrote:P.S. I think the QL is the most incredible looking retro system. IMHO, the industrial design would not look out of place today. Post QL, the only system that comes close would be the NeXT cube. I must have a QL (with matching monitor) on my desk.
Hello and welcome! I think in these i-apple days people tend to forget that old computers looked just as good and had a decent design. I've always thought Sinclair stuff had unique and good design, quite timeless some of them :)