Metacomco C Manual

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Metacomco C Manual

Post by Chr$ »

Yes, I gathered. I mean that my actual book has different page numbers and so different content to the Spanish website photocopy scans, so that may be confusing. Not sure what the differences are. But I'm sure you can work out the differences. It's wrapped up and ready to go on Monday.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Chr$ wrote:Yes, I gathered. I mean that my actual book has different page numbers and so different content to the Spanish website photocopy scans, so that may be confusing. Not sure what the differences are. But I'm sure you can work out the differences. It's wrapped up and ready to go on Monday.
Thanks...

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Another little question, I have noticed that in Chapter 5: Portable Library Functions, some of te functions are defined with a double underscore. For example: STCU__D

Is this correct?

If so, then I need to check all the Metacomco Library functions, for the correct syntax and with a copy of the compiler disc, it going to hard.

If anyone has a copy for sale I would like to buy it.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek,

I'm pretty sure these double underscores result from the extra-wide underscore in the original font - I can't prove for this specific instance, but other function names that clearly must have one single underscore (the entry for io_fbyte(), for example) appear to me like they had two in my print.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Yes you are correct , after finishing all of Chapter 5 Portable Library Functions , it is obvious that thete was a error in the text or the print or both.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

After Chr$ very kindly sent me his QLC Manual, which is dated 1985, the scanned PDF file is dated 1986, 2nd Edition.

It is looking like the badly scanned PDF file is the larest edition of the manual.

Does, anyone have a Hard Copy 2nd Edition of the manual?

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi

The QLC manual has some examples of C programming, In previuos books, I usually try to verify that programming examples work correctly.

Since I do not have a working copy of QLC I will have to use C68, is this OK?

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Looking at the PDF from the Internet, which is the 2nd Edition of the manual, which all the double pages were mixed up, and scanned in rediculous order.

I have split the pages into single pages and ordered the manual as per the page numbers. Which I have OCRed, and I am constructing the Index.

But alas, there are some ommissions to the scanned file, and some changes were in progress probably from Metacocmco. Which becomes more evident when compared to the Printed Manual Edition 1 (thanks Chr$ for the loan of manual).

So I have ammended the Edition 2 text to combine Edition 1 to make the document flow correctly. The main area of error was Chapter 5 which looks to have the sections renumbered. But the Contents list had not bern changed. All very sloppy on the manual writing process.

So, I have just got to construct the Alphabetical Index, test the C examples, chrck the manual for spelling mistakes and errors.

I plan to raise the new manual to 3rd Edition Community Edition.

I hope this to done by next week...

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Just a quick reply Derek, to thank you for all this work you are doing on books, manuals etc. I know what an absolute ball ache this can be, so thanks.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi

The QLC manual has some examples of C programming, In previuos books, I usually try to verify that programming examples work correctly.

Since I do not have a working copy of QLC I will have to use C68, is this OK?
There are, if I remember correctly, library functions aligned with Lattice C in MCC C that are not present in C68. So, some of the examples might not necessarily work with C68. The more "standard-compliant" (there was no standard C back then) examples should work, however.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO