Quanta Show and AGM - 16th/17th April 2011

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

Quanta Show and AGM - 16th/17th April 2011

Post by RWAP »

Now what we need is someone from Quanta promoting this - why does it have to be up to someone else to publicise the show?

Anyway, Quanta have announced the details of their show and AGM which is to take place on 16th and 17th April 2011.

Workshop/ Show is from 12.00 Noon (Doors open 10 am for setting up) to 5.00 pm Saturday
And 9.00 am to 1.30 pm Sunday
Annual General Meeting is held at 2.00 pm Prompt Sunday.
Venue: 3rd Davyhulme Scout Headquarters “The Endeavour”, Conway Road, off
Lostock Road, Davyhulme, Manchester. M41 0TF. Near M60 J9.

Details are not yet on the Quanta website

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Quanta Show and AGM - 16th/17th April 2011

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Its on the Quanta website now, a little less clear than your post though :lol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

So who is planning on going to the show?

I will be there - I have a talk lined up for Saturday, and a small collection of my QL items for sale!!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Well, the show this weekend certainly generated quite a lot of excitement - with all the talk of new hardware and projects, the talks were all very interesting and well received (including hopefully, my own!)

The talks including discussions and demonstrations of controlling robots with the QL, QL software preservation and also touched on the new hardware developments.

The A&E team were kept busy sorting through piles of QLs to get some working machines, strip out useful parts and consign the remainder to the scrapheap. On my own stall, people were able to see the ICL Merlin Tonto, the HxC SD card floppy disk emulator, the dongled QL and the recently re-launched E.V.A. Jet pac like game from Westway Limited.

We also spent several hours sorting through my box of bare disk drives, trying to make up some matching pairs (who would have thought that there was so much variance in the standards for these, we even had two drives which had the same model number, but one was a DD drive, the other a HD !!)

It is just such a shame that there were not more people at the workshop (only around 20 people) - it would be good if people could maybe give some feedback as to what could be done to encourage greater attendance and interaction, or maybe the workshops are just no longer required?

On the Quanta side of things, there were lively discussions over the constitution, and also the membership fee (which has not increased since the 1980s).

The AGM was very interactive, with lots of questions and discussions. Although unfortunately, the Chair, Sarah Gilpin was unable to attend), Geoff Wicks was quickly co-opted to the committee for the purpose of the meeting and he did an excellent job as acting Chairman for the day.

I also got to meet Lee Privett, who went on to be elected to the Quanta committee and I am sure he will contribute plenty of new ideas to help drive Quanta forward and help to show how the QL user group is essential to helping keep the QL alive and disseminate information about the QL both to existing users, and new (or returning ones).

Finally, I would like to thank John Gilpin, who retired from the committee this year - his hard work as treasurer, membership secretary and editor has helped keep Quanta together in recent years.

[[ Note to the admins - can we move this from the announcements section now please]]

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Done! Is there any pictures? Sounds like a good event :)

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I think Dilwyn took most of the pictures and I am sure that he will put one or two here at some point. For my part it was a very interesting Workshop/AGM meeting, there were many people, actually everyone of whom I met in person for the first time.

The talks were interesting and highlighted some of the many different things that people are doing related to the QL. The robot talk for example, besides other things illustrated just how simplistically powerful the QL was then and even now.

I concur with Rich regarding John Gilpin's tireless stint and also the exciting stuff that is being developed, and would just like to make a point for any body reading this.

If you see something that could be useful to you or the QL community such as a piece of hardware or software in development, don't just lurk, make a comment, even something like "Hey Jack, this is a really useful project, keep us informed, I am interested in the final product".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I didn't know about the EVA game release plus the Nurse one too! :o

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:I think Dilwyn took most of the pictures and I am sure that he will put one or two here at some point. For my part it was a very interesting Workshop/AGM meeting, there were many people, actually everyone of whom I met in person for the first time.
I have put some photos and a show report at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/gen/quanta/agm2011/agm2011.htm

Dilwyn Jones

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

vanpeebles wrote:I didn't know about the EVA game release plus the Nurse one too! :o
I didn't widely publicise this as I wanted it to be some news for the show.

I have added details to the Software section of the forums