Super Gold Card

Re: Sir Clive passed away.

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, very sad news :(

May he enjoy the inventors heaven.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It's hit me hard, really has, I'm a self confessed Sinclair fanboy, always have been and always will be. My Sinclair journey started watching my Uncle's 48k speccy around 1983 as a four year old, and I was just totally enthralled. It was like a mythical item, the things it did, the games, all the words on the machine, how it looked. That super crisp futuristic looking SInclair logo.

My Uncle left school around 85-86 I think, and he wanted to sell his Speccy as he needed the money, which made my Grandparents very upset as they knew he loved it, and he had spent loads of time and money on the games. Unknown to me, my Gran decided to buy it for me off my Uncle, and I can vividly remember watching on puzzled as she handed out notes from her purse to my uncle, and us coming home with boxes and bags full of piles of tapes and magazines. I was totally smitten with it, and had years of happy memories working my way through all the tapes and games.

When it got to the early 90's and amigas etc came along. I still stood by my speccy, in the mid 90s, I got an Acorn A3010, but I also used that with speccy emulators etc To screenshot graphics and tinker about. During that time I also bought a +2 off someone at school, and his mam's car followed me on my pushbike to deliver it. In the mid 90's I kept getting more speccies, and I used to email my PC owning friends, using a viewdata called Silicon Village, and they couldn't believe I was sending them emails from a speccy. I used to get tape fanzines, and other fanzines such as ZX FIies and Classix, all before retro internet craze came back.

I can remember going shopping in Newcastle with my Mam, and buying the penultimate issue of Your Sinclair, and reading it was closing. Just so many memories.

From then on my Sinclair collection grew, and I finally got a QL and we ended up here.

When you think of all the great machines, spanning 40 years, all the friendships with people all over the world, the companies, the cottage industries, the people who have come and gone, total enthusiasts with a genuine love, all united under the Sinclair banner. Sir Clive lit fires, created passions and set us all on journeys that would change our lives. Total legend.

RIP and Thank you!

BackToQL
ROM Dongle

Post by BackToQL »

RIP Sir Clive.
Like many of you, it's because of his Spectrum that I ended up in IT.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

So very sad. I think the last time I saw an image of him he looked older than he had a year earlier so you could kind of see his health was in decline. The ZX81 was my first computer and I learned so much from that little beast. It was such a liberating device back then for a kid to explore. I still love playing with it to this day. I teach for a living and some of the ideas and concepts I present to students I learned form his devices. RIP!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

One of my most prized possessions.
Attachments
sirclive.jpg

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

vanpeebles wrote:One of my most prized possessions.
That's a great picture of an older Sir Clive!

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Hi Folks,

Sir Clive has given me many years of pleasure at affordable prices !

My first buy was a Sinclair calculator, bought I think in 1974/5. Very useful until somebody nicked it a few years ago...

Later I bought the first QL (JM) exported to France in 1984, but found it hard to link to a monitor ! (No instructions, and no technicians could advise).

Got it worked out and used it to computerise my surveying job. (Exit log tables and slide rules). Fast and furious.

Then PCs dominated, so the QL has become a leisure activity, and a research tool.

If I were not 73, I suppose I would have gone in for a RaspberryPi, or various RISC systems.

I wonder what Sir Clive thought of the growing QL enthusiasts ? -- R.I.P.

Steve.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Very sad to hear this.

My first computer I learned to program on was a ZX Spectrum back in 1983. I guess that was what Sir Clive aimed for - making technology accessible for the average person and letting them create their own programs, not just consuming and playing games (even though the Spectrum eventually became very successful as a games machine).

May he rest in peace.

Jan

stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Post by stevepoole »

Capture d’écran (490)bis.jpg
Steve.

swensont
Forum Moderator

Post by swensont »

If I had not purchased my ZX81 in high school, I"m sure it would have eventually bought another computer, but the low price of the ZX81 made it so easy. The ZX81 allowed me to learn how much fun programming could be. That sealed my decision to major in Computer Science in college. In College I kept buying the next Sinclair computer (T/S 100, T/S 2068, QL, and eventually the Z88).

The ZX81 started me down the path of my career. When my step-father saw the ZX81 (with memory pack), he said "You spent $250 on that?". It sounded expensive at the time, but in the long term it was well worth it.

Thank you, Sir Clive.