Anyone here like to write an article about QL networking?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
yalsi
ROM Dongle

Anyone here like to write an article about QL networking?

Post by yalsi »

Hello Everybody

As posted here (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3749&p=4098), the German Retro Computing Magazine LOAD contains an article about early network products for home computers. When i wrote the article, i would have liked to have treated the Sinclair QL as well, but i haven't found much background on this topic. I have linked two QLs together sometime in the past and i remember how to use the the link, but not more. I also found some information about projects dealing with QL network adapters here, but i am unsure about the current state and availability of them.

This leads to my question: Has anyone here experience with QL network issues and would like to write an article about QL networking for the next issue of our magazine? Of course you can write in english. We will publish a german translation in the hardcopy of the magazine. The original articles will be included in the PDF version, which is available a few months later.

All our articles are published under a Creative Commons License (CC-BY-NC-SA). So might put the article on your website or reuse it for other publications.

The LOAD magazine is published annually, the next issue will be finished in February, 2022. BTW: LOAD isn't commercial, since it is published by the "Association for the preservation of classic computers", which is a non-profit association.

Thank you-Georg

martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: Anyone here like to write an article about QL networking?

Post by martyn_hill »

Hello Georg!

Did you happen to read the article on QL Networking that I attached to the first post in the thread https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... &start=130 - the article was originally written for submission to Quanta, but as I didn't hear back from the editor, it was posted here in the Forum.

Its rather too long for a single article as it stands, but if you think the content suitable for LOAD, let me know and I could write an abridged version for consideration.

Regards,
M.

yalsi
ROM Dongle

Post by yalsi »

Hallo Martyn

Very impressive! I'll read it carefully the next days. Don't worry about the length, we always have large articles... .

At the first look i think the chapter about packet anatomy needs a special layout. Maybe the Spectrum/QL communication should become a separate article.

Regards- Georg

yalsi
ROM Dongle

Post by yalsi »

Hello again

After reading the article complety, i can imagine rhe following:

- Chapters 1.1 to 1.7 will be published in 2022. Chapter 1.4 should be a separate article together with a short description of the QLUB interface
- Chapter 1.8 will be published in a later issue

We will translate these parts into german for the printed issues. Your original text then will be included as a bonus article in the online version (PDF).

There is also a LOAD CDROM available for download as an ISO image. We might include addidional things to this image, e.g. the QDOS software and so on.

What do you think about this?

Regards- Georg B.

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi George

Yes, I'm fine with your proposal - please take this reply as my formal approval to use the material in your magazine.

I think you meant this anyway, please do leave out the "About the author'' - no need for that part nor the rest of the introduction, starting instead straight at section 1.

I'm also fine with dropping section 1.4, though I don't believe it would stand-up as an article in its own right.

Finally, I have borrowed a couple of images from other sources, which I have credited in the text - please do take care to include the accreditation :-)

Good luck!

yalsi
ROM Dongle

Post by yalsi »

Hi Martyn

Thanks you very much for your approval.

At the end of every article you'll find a small box with a few sentences about the author. I will use this box for a shorted introduction of you.

Regards- Georg