m68k.info talk with me

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Re: m68k.info talk with me

Post by Tinyfpga »

The documents I posted were written at the time that TT had finished writting the Stella Kernel. As far as I can remember he was trying to develop a novel high level language he was going to call Metalog that would be better suited to writing programs for Stella.

I have no idea to whom he sent the documents (obviously me for one). I assume he was tring to get some backing from a wider group of chosen software "engineers" or hackers as he called them. He claimed to have received replies but as far as I know Metalog was never finished even though Stella was running on Atari STs at the time.

Having finished SMS2, which he considered a second attempt at constructing an OS in his image, he then, and this is only my opinion, wasted a huge amount of time re-inserting a BASIC interpreter into SMS2 to make SMSQE. It would have been much better if he had spent the time developing a user interface and a new high level language for Stella.

To demonstrate how similar SMSQE is to SMS2 I have attached a screen dump of an SMS2-in-Steem running over SMSQE-in QPC2. Both are setup to use the SMS2 BASIC parser for programming in BASIC. Clearly SMSQE-in-QPC2 is better but mainly because of its far superior display capabilities not because it contains a BASIC interpreter.

I have just ordered the "Principles of Program Design" by M. A. Jackson., as shown in the Amazon listing below:-
https://www.amazon.com/Principles-Progr ... 0123790506
I did not order it from them because I go out of my way not to use Amazon.
SMS2 and SMSQE.JPG

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I managed to record (in audio only) over an hour's worth of the talk yesterday. I listened to the first 20 minutes live and then just let the recording continue. When I came back I got the impression that the official talk had ended so I stopped recording but carried on listening to a discussion that seemed to follow.

At first it was mainly chit-chat but then the discussion moved on to the use of FPGAs. I thought that Marcel came across well. He was relaxed and knowledegable even to the point of discussing his limitations. His views on his own attempts at programming FPGAs and the Q68 were interesting but this part of the "broadcast" was not recorded by me.

At the start of the session someone announced that it was going to be recorded. How much was not made clear except that the recording would not include questions and answers. The official recording should be available on the m68k website. It is not visible at the time of this post.

The mp3 file created by my recording is huge (55 Mbytes) because I haven't spent the time learning how to use the recorder which defaults to;- MPEG Layer3, 96Kbits/s, 32000Hz in stereo which is probably an excessively high setting.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Tinyfpga wrote:Anyway I feel that this this would be a pertinent time to post "Two Thoughts of Chairman Tebby" that the members of this QL forum might not have had a chance to read in the past.
Cool, thanks or sharing!
Be positive.pdf
Interesting that he writes that he doesn't like OOP, just to then introduce "molecules", which are, for all I can see, OOP objects... the rest sounds like JetBrains' MPS domain specific language tools. I've heard good things about these kinds of approaches for specialized needs.
C2.pdf
Hm, not sure about that one. C is certainly a 100 times easier to use correctly than assembler... also, for example the example in "The pointer to confuse" doesn't make any sense to me.

Cheers, Marcel

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Tinyfpga wrote:At first it was mainly chit-chat but then the discussion moved on to the use of FPGAs. I thought that Marcel came across well.
Glad to hear it! I'm not terribly used to actually speaking English.
He was relaxed and knowledegable even to the point of discussing his limitations.
“The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.” :-)
At the start of the session someone announced that it was going to be recorded. How much was not made clear except that the recording would not include questions and answers. The official recording should be available on the m68k website. It is not visible at the time of this post.
Yes, still not available, but I guess it will eventually turn up. If not I might come back to your recording ;)

Cheers, Marcel

cstrotm
ROM Dongle

Post by cstrotm »

mk79 wrote:Yes, still not available, but I guess it will eventually turn up. If not I might come back to your recording ;)

Cheers, Marcel
Hi,

the video recording is now up on the m68k.info page and also on YouTube.

Many thanks to Marcel for this very interesting talk. I've learned a lot

Carsten

http://m68k.info
gemini://m68k.info/
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Marcel,

I just watched your video presentation, I think presentation was really interesting.

I liked the QL Windowed screens.

Well done.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Marcel,

Just watched your presentation, very well done and interesting. The presentation template you used made me smile, but it worked very well.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

That was a very interesting presentation, thanks a lot. And we both have spoken the same sentence at 0:28 about the directory mechanism. :D

4E75 7000
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

RalfR wrote:And we both have spoken the same sentence at 0:28 about the directory mechanism.
I had a rant about it some time back: http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/200 ... le-system/ :)

I mean, how hard could it be to write a new file system? <GD&R>

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

I am not sure, but I think, the device driver from Dirk Steinkopf (as used in many WIN drivers) had originally used the "\" for directory entries (I may be wrong).

I think, the main problem is to give older software a way to find the files. With PTH or DEV, it seem to be a good way.

I do not think, that writing an appropiate new file system is the main problem. I even think that TT or even MK had just thought about that, and have solutions.

Hi Marcel, let us know about the ideas :)

4E75 7000