m68k.info talk with me

A place to discuss general QL issues.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

m68k.info talk with me

Post by mk79 »

After Urs presented his hardware treasures the organizers from m68k.info invited me to hold a short talk and Q/A about the QL operating systems and stuff. It will already be this Friday evening if anybody is interested:

http://m68k.info/

A bit short notice but it gives me an excuse to not be perfectly prepared :-P

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: m68k.info talk with me

Post by NormanDunbar »

B*gg*r! I''l miss that! :(

Hopefully, it's being recorded for later viewing/listening online? Are you aware? I'm extremely interested.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Marcel - thanks for sharing - I'm very interested in joining the event.

Having not used the senfcal conference tool before, do you have any tips or links to (English) instructions?

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

I'm not sure if it is recorded, perhaps hopefully not ;) Anyway, probably not much new to learn for existing QLers as it's aimed at people who don't know our system at all.

I haven't used Senfcall myself either, except in an experiment where I called myself using two browsers ;) In my experience Chromium based browsers (Chrome, Opera, Edge) work best with these web-type conference systems.

Cheers

cstrotm
ROM Dongle

Post by cstrotm »

mk79 wrote:I'm not sure if it is recorded, perhaps hopefully not ;) Anyway, probably not much new to learn for existing QLers as it's aimed at people who don't know our system at all.

I haven't used Senfcall myself either, except in an experiment where I called myself using two browsers ;) In my experience Chromium based browsers (Chrome, Opera, Edge) work best with these web-type conference systems.

Cheers
Hi,

Senfcall works well with Firefox and also Chrome based browsers. Unlike other web based conference systems, this works a little better with Firefox :)

Under the hood, it is a BigBlueButton (BBB) open source software conferencing system.

There is an english version of senfcall at https://senfcall.de/en/

See you Friday

Carsten

http://m68k.info
gemini://m68k.info/
Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

The notice of mk79 's forthcoming talk prompted me to search through a box of papers that have lain in my loft for nearly thirty years. I remembered that I had filed a number of documents written by Tony Tebby detailing a few of his thoughts on programming systems.

It seems clear to me that Tony considered his operating system design(s) as significantly superior to the status quo. I don't think he thought that SMS2 and thus SMSQ/E were "retro" or "hobby" operating systems, even though they are used as such. I find SMSQ/E configured as originally intended and displayed at HD resolutions very impressive.

Although SMS2 and SMSQ/E-in-Q68 cannot display at very high resolutions they are both capable of running the same software and impress me just as much.

Anyway I feel that this this would be a pertinent time to post "Two Thoughts of Chairman Tebby" that the members of this QL forum might not have had a chance to read in the past.
Be positive.pdf
(420.84 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
C2.pdf
(677.07 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks for those documents.

They are very Tony Tebby -- pretty much everything I've ever read of his has been a "rant" aboutsomething he disagrees with.

I would only say, as an average C programmer, that readable and understandable code can be written in C, and just as efficient at run time too. This is how I try to write my C code on the grounds that it will most likely be me that has to fix it!

I love the "Be positive" title of the other article. Considering the negativity in both! However, regarding programs needing to be data driven, I had two thoughts:

1. He's correct!

2. I was taught this very thing in college back in the early 1980s, it was called Jackson Structured Programming (JSP) back then.

So there's nothing new under the sun -- unless Tony's article was written before Mike Jackson (I think) did his treatise on the matter.

Interesting reads though.

Cheers,
Norm.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

I have never heard of Michael A. Jackson, but I am not a programmer so I suppose I might have an excuse. I have just look up the JSP entry in Wikipedia and will try to obtain a copy of his 1975 book, a book that I will probable not understand. Some of the TT's documents are dated 6th October 1992.

Thank you norm, for the info. i am going to try and record Herr Kilgus's talk and if I succeed and with Marcel's permission, I will post the recording here.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

The JSP book was required reading for my college course. I kept it for years, but sadly, no longer have it.

This is the book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Structured-Pro ... 748703608/ with the brown cover.

Cheers,
Norm.

ppe
Trump Card

Post by ppe »

Tinyfpga wrote:The notice of mk79 's forthcoming talk prompted me to search through a box of papers that have lain in my loft for nearly thirty years. I remembered that I had filed a number of documents written by Tony Tebby detailing a few of his thoughts on programming systems.
Thank you *very* much for sharing these, they are very interesting to read and, and surprisingly relevant now, 30 years later! There are many comments which prompted a chuckle.

What is the context of these documents, where were they published? At the end he requests feedback - from whom?