#QLvember

A place to discuss general QL issues.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

#QLvember

Post by bwinkel67 »

Hi all,

A few of us are going to be doing some QL specific YouTube videos for the month of November. We're tagging each with #QLvember for lack of a better name. This is similar to how Radio Shack was being supported back in September with #SepTandy videos. On the forum we have myself (8-Bit Retro Journal), SinclairSociety (TJ Ferreira), and vanpeebles (peetvanpeebles) participating. We also have Noel Llopis (Noel's Retro Lab) doing some QL repair videos and through Noel, who has a slightly larger audience, we almost got Adrian Black (Adrian's Digital Basement) and Jan Beta (Jan Beta) to join in but unfortunately they didn't have QL's this time around. - hoping they join in with us next year (if we repeat it) as their audience stretches over 100K retro fans.

Here's the 60 second intro I created for my latest YouTube video: https://vimeo.com/473764702

The aim is to expose more people to the QL. I don't know how many Commodore 64 repair videos I've watched and enjoyed during the pandemic on YouTube yet I've never owned one and the more I watch the more I wonder if I should get my hands on at least a Mini :-/ So these YouTube channels do get non-users interested in it new things (or maybe I just have a weak mind) and the more QL'ers the more possible customers for Tedroid, Charlie, Marcel, Peter, Derek, RWAP, etc (sorry if I missed someone) and the more new nifty gadgets we all get to play with for our QL.

So, check out YouTube for the #QLvember hashtag, esp with everything getting shutdown in the world again, and if you have something to share, just record it, put it up on YouTube (surprisingly simple) and tag it. My videos are low production quality where I use my iPhone4 and do a little bit of MovieMaker editing and I do them just for fun and to record what I'm up to. But getting people to watch and commenting that they found something interesting or useful is its own reward and makes me want to do more stuff with my old machines. There might not be many videos this time around but the more we get in 2020 the better chance we have for 2021 as some more established Retro YouTuber's might join in next time.

And if you are not a fan of YouTube stars putting out click-bait videos, none of the folks I listed are that, they tend to do very technical stuff and I've learned a lot watching some of their videos. And I know we have some very technically talented folks on this board that I'd love to get insights from watching a video or two while I'm staying safe form the pandemic!

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Re: #QLvember

Post by SinclairSociety »

Here is mine...

https://youtu.be/3SKdp6BlvA4

Hope you all enjoy.

Thanks for asking me to participate.

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Woohoo, I will watch it tonight after teaching all my classes.

Thanks!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Here is mine! The mic was a bit low but I had it cranked up full!

https://youtu.be/ZGQCyv0tuWQ

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Nice video.

I wish my voice sound good enough for a microphone.

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Nice video.

I was dreading it! :lol:

Team Andromeda QL
ROM Dongle

Post by Team Andromeda QL »

vanpeebles wrote:Here is mine! The mic was a bit low but I had it cranked up full!

That's awesome

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

vanpeebles wrote:Here is mine! The mic was a bit low but I had it cranked up full!

Just watched it, that was great...will have to give the game a try. I like the framing image, it really shows lots of detail.

I'll be posting my first one tonight. Meant to do it earlier but US election watch was a bit stressful for a few days until it all sorted out.

BTW, what capture program did you use? I'm still trying to find a good solution when I"m not using a camera.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

Nice video.

I used to hate hearing my voice but it turns out after a while I got used to it-- though my wife still runs out of the room when she hears my opening line :-/

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

bwinkel67 wrote:

Just watched it, that was great...will have to give the game a try. I like the framing image, it really shows lots of detail.

I'll be posting my first one tonight. Meant to do it earlier but US election watch was a bit stressful for a few days until it all sorted out.

BTW, what capture program did you use? I'm still trying to find a good solution when I"m not using a camera.
Cheers! I quite enjoyed it once I'd recorded it! The capture software is built in to the radeon graphics driver. Not sure if all the radeon cards can do it or only certain ones. I think the video was around 25 mins and the 1080p file was around 1gb.