#QLvember

A place to discuss general QL issues.
llopis
ROM Dongle

Re: #QLvember

Post by llopis »

Here's my first entry for this year's #QLvember repairing two QLs: https://youtu.be/0z4X4AMKlcs

Is YouTube embedding disabled on the forum for some reason? I can't get it to work.

TMD2003
Trump Card

Post by TMD2003 »

Just a point - does anything under this QLvember title have to involve a real QL that I don't have?

(For now, I'll watch Noel's video and see what a broken one looks like inside.)

Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Nice video, Noel!

Unfortunately you hit the very same error on both QLs (one defect RAM chip, which is probably the secondmost common failure). It would probably have been interesting to see a different failure like on the bus transceivers, which are also a pretty common thing to fail.

I guess on one of your follow-up videos we're going to see a tutorial on "how to fix the QL's keyboard membrane", because those are also very likely to fail.

Thanks!
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

llopis wrote:Here's my first entry for this year's #QLvember repairing two QLs: https://youtu.be/0z4X4AMKlcs
A truly professional video! Thank you!

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

TMD2003 wrote:Just a point - does anything under this QLvember title have to involve a real QL that I don't have?

(For now, I'll watch Noel's video and see what a broken one looks like inside.)
Nope, anything QL, including emulators, is fine. If you create a video just add the #QLvember hashtag so it gets lopped in with the rest of them. That way anyone watching one just clicks the hashtagged link and gets to the others.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

llopis wrote:Here's my first entry for this year's #QLvember repairing two QLs: https://youtu.be/0z4X4AMKlcs

Is YouTube embedding disabled on the forum for some reason? I can't get it to work.
I had to smile when you were pulling on the LED and microdrive connectors and were like "wtf, really, couldn't spend 10 cents on a better connector" as that's so Sinclair...

llopis
ROM Dongle

Post by llopis »

tofro wrote:Nice video, Noel!

Unfortunately you hit the very same error on both QLs (one defect RAM chip, which is probably the secondmost common failure). It would probably have been interesting to see a different failure like on the bus transceivers, which are also a pretty common thing to fail.

I guess on one of your follow-up videos we're going to see a tutorial on "how to fix the QL's keyboard membrane", because those are also very likely to fail.
Thanks! I was actually fine with both of them being the same error. I can easily do them in one video and it was relatively straightforward for the first time I dive into the QL :-)

Surprisingly both membranes are working fine! I know they had a bad reputation but maybe the heat sinks actually helped a bit.

Next one I'm hoping to look at the microdrives in detail. Should be fun. And yes, I'm already reading how I need to replace the felt on the drives themselves. I'll be extra careful.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Fancy video! :shock:

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Super awesome video. I enjoyed every second.

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

llopis wrote:
Surprisingly both membranes are working fine! I know they had a bad reputation but maybe the heat sinks actually helped a bit.
The membrane in the first one you showed was certainly new, someone has swapped it at some stage. I don't think I saw the 2nd membrane.

In the end, they did have a plug and pins for the microdrives, but only at the very end of production for very late Samsung models (for Germany and possibly USA).
20201112_220300_resized.jpg
And if you need felt pads for the cartridges I can send you some ready-cut that I sell from time to time.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.