Post by Derek_Stewart »

It's a good game, we need more...

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Mystery QL/MS-DOS v4.0x Disk

Post by bwinkel67 »

So the DP Collection is not public domain...but I don't see DP still selling it. So is it in limbo or is there a way to still acquire the collection or individual software off of it? Or do you have to wait until you see one on eBay. I wanted to give Solution or PC Conqueror a try, maybe on my Q68.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

If It isn't public domain/freeware then, yes, you have to wait. There's no such thing as abandonware contrary to popular belief.

I've had both Solution and Conqueror for my QL, with Trump and Gold cards. Performance was abysmal. Everything has to load from disc -- as I remember.

I'd have given you my original floppies, but they died the "death of 300+" floppies some time back. :(

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

NormanDunbar wrote:If It isn't public domain/freeware then, yes, you have to wait. There's no such thing as abandonware contrary to popular belief.

I've had both Solution and Conqueror for my QL, with Trump and Gold cards. Performance was abysmal. Everything has to load from disc -- as I remember.

I'd have given you my original floppies, but they died the "death of 300+" floppies some time back. :(

Cheers,
Norm.
With regards to The Conqueror or Solution, Digitial Precision stopped trading, it seems after a little search that the D.P. rights maybe with Davis Batty. But the orginal author, Steve Sutton will have the final say and since Steve Sutton seems unreachable for what ever reason.

Use The Conqueror which is a a better version of the Solution, it will only run DOS software, and maybe Windows 3.0 at best.

I used to use the The Conqueror on a Gold Card and Super Gold Card, which ran DBASE3+ , Framework, Amipro very nicely and any DOS games. So on the Q68, which is running faster than the Super GOld Card QL, it should be quite useable.

I have my original DP Conqueror Disks, still readable,with backup and the DP QL Collection converted to FLP image whic runs really well on the Q68.

The main problem is the ownership and copyright issues. Which is a pity as there are some excellent QL software from D.P. which runs on SMSQ/E on he Q68.

Wit regards to Abandonware, so,Wikipedia is wrong....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Also see:

https://abandonwaregames.net/

Regards,

Derek
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
NormanDunbar wrote:If It isn't public domain/freeware then, yes, you have to wait. There's no such thing as abandonware contrary to popular belief.

Cheers,
Norm.
With regards to The Conqueror or Solution, Digitial Precision stopped trading, it seems after a little search that the D.P. rights maybe with Davis Batty. But the orginal author, Steve Sutton will have the final say and since Steve Sutton seems unreachable for what ever reason.

Use The Conqueror which is a a better version of the Solution, it will only run DOS software, and maybe Windows 3.0 at best.

I used to use the The Conqueror on a Gold Card and Super Gold Card, which ran DBASE3+ , Framework, Amipro very nicely and any DOS games. So on the Q68, which is running faster than the Super GOld Card QL, it should be quite useable.

I have my original DP Conqueror Disks, still readable,with backup and the DP QL Collection converted to FLP image whic runs really well on the Q68.

The main problem is the ownership and copyright issues. Which is a pity as there are some excellent QL software from D.P. which runs on SMSQ/E on he Q68.

Wit regards to Abandonware, so,Wikipedia is wrong....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Also see:

https://abandonwaregames.net/
It's a real shame when rights owners cannot be contacted or simply don't reply and although it's illegal, I can understand that for a lot of (non-QL) software, people have simply taken it upon themselves and shared it online. I can't see there being any (or much) commercial value to 20+ year old software. Even if the rights owner allowed it to be used for a fee, I'd certainly pay to have a little play with MS-DOS on the Q68!

Does it run resource hungry MS-DOS 90s things like the game Duke Nukem 3D for example?

I hope Steve Sutton is living as a healthy hermit somewhere and that nothing bad has happened to him.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Derek,

The opening paragraph on the Wikipedia article you linked, says it all:

Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no official support is available.[1] Although such software is usually still under copyright,[2] the owner may not be tracking copyright violations.

The meaningful bit is: such software is usually still under copyright and, my emphasis, the owner may not be tracking copyright violations.

May not, doesn't mean, is not. Copyright remains with the owner until transferred by said owner, or their estate in the event of death.

Don't forget, Wikipedia articles are written by anyone with a login, they are not necessarily legally correct and even if they are, they might not be legally correct in all territories.

If I personally, got hold of a copy of Conqueror, for example, and played with it, I would be breaking the law. If I was to make it publicly available, or distribute it in some way, I would be breaking the law again. Regardless of whether or not Steve Sutton was contactable - no reply doesn't imply permission I'm afraid.

All of which is a damned shame - there should be some way that this sort of "waste" could be alleviated.

HTH

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

NormanDunbar wrote:they might not be legally correct in all territories.
In all territories. This is the point indeed!
For example, I know the USA have clearer and simpler rules about 30+ years old softwares. On the contrary, here in Italy it's a mess...

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Cristian wrote:
For example, I know the USA have clearer and simpler rules about 30+ years old softwares. On the contrary, here in Italy it's a mess...
In Romania it's simple: no software released before 1996 is copyrighted. We had no copyright law for software before 1996 and the law is not retroactive.

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

First, what would be the use of MS.DOS on a QL ? One may play with it on a retro PC or in a DOS box ?

Then, about abandonware : the issue with D.P. conqueror (not being allowed to use it when you have not purchased it at times you could buy it - nor to upload it somehow for others to try it like "public domain"), this questions me also for ComputerOne FORTH (that I think is better than D.P. SuperForth - which is or isn't available as "public domain" ?).

Because : if D.P. conqueror is not allowed, why should D.P. SupperForth be ? or D.P. tiny C ? (both I have - rightly purchased a long time ago).

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Andrew wrote:
Cristian wrote:
In Romania it's simple: no software released before 1996 is copyrighted. We had no copyright law for software before 1996 and the law is not retroactive.
So you're free to share any QL software that was officially released in Romania before 1996!

There was no official QL importer in Romania was there? And therefore no Romanian software releases. Oh that bloody Iron Curtain malarky.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.