What to do ...?

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Retro-Mania
ROM Dongle

What to do ...?

Post by Retro-Mania »

Hi all

Ok, I have a dilemma here and would appreciate your input please ...

As a collector of retro computers I could never decide on my favourites, so went for many platforms and collected a lot on the way! I am now faced with having to reduce the rather large collection I have as, having been single again since 2011, I am moving in with my Fiancé later this year. She understands my obsession but we cannot give up a whole room to my computer collection :cry:

I have 11 Amigas, 6 different BBCs, 3 Atari STs ... lots of other lovely machines and also my Sinclair collection ...
16k rubber key Spectrum
48k rubber key Spectrum
Speccy 48k in a DKTronics keyboard
Spectrum+
2 x Spectrum Toast Rack
Spectrum Plus 3
ZX Expansion Pack
More games than you can shake a stick at ... (although I tried shaking a stick and nothing happened :o )
Sinclair Ql and Gold Card 3

So, do I stick with Sinclair and sell the rest? Or stick with Amiga and sell the rest?
Or sell off most of everything and keep my best example of each machine?

It sounds really sad, I know, but I really do not want to part with any of my computers. I have built this collection up over so many years, buying only the very best, boxed examples. I even have 2 never opened Amigas! (Sad right? I know someone is going to have a pop at me for being a collector and not using these machines!).

So, even though you are on the QL Forum (which I find much more friendly than some of the other forums for other machines!!!), what would you do?

With best regards
Neil

Andrew
Aurora

Re: What to do ...?

Post by Andrew »

I would keep the best example of each Sinclair and sell the rest.
But that's me. I had Sinclairs when I was young and they bring back nice memories.
I never had Amigas, Atari STs or BBCs.

So my advice would be: keep the brand that brings you the best memories.
(And if you decide to sell any Sinclairs please let me know :D )

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Tricky. It very much depend upon how many machine you can keep.

If it were me I'd use this priority list:

1) The machine(s) I use most often.
2) The most unusual/rare items.
3) The one best example of each type (which you can play with, not just horde).

From what you list, on the ZX Spectrum front, I would suggest keeping the best "toastrack" as that's the ultimate true Sinclair version and it doesn't take much space. The QL is quite small too. If you have an Amiga A1200, that's probably the best (and most compact) version of that type. You don't say what ST types you have or the Beebs.

Slim down to one display, maybe a decent LCD TV with VGA & SCART input, and have a shelf unit or cupboard to keep the machines not in use in. That should keep things compact enough that it doesn't take over a whole room and it can cohabit with any other use.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I agree that you should keep the computers that you used most. However, the QL is likely more rare than many of the others you listed so you should probably keep it as you can more easily get the others back.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Just thin the herd out a bit, keep a couple of best speccies and BBCs same for amiga too.

Retro-Mania
ROM Dongle

Post by Retro-Mania »

Andrew wrote:I would keep the best example of each Sinclair and sell the rest.
But that's me. I had Sinclairs when I was young and they bring back nice memories.
I never had Amigas, Atari STs or BBCs.

So my advice would be: keep the brand that brings you the best memories.
(And if you decide to sell any Sinclairs please let me know :D )
Thanks Andrew, this is kind of where my thinking is going :)

Retro-Mania
ROM Dongle

Post by Retro-Mania »

stephen_usher wrote:Tricky. It very much depend upon how many machine you can keep.

If it were me I'd use this priority list:

1) The machine(s) I use most often.
2) The most unusual/rare items.
3) The one best example of each type (which you can play with, not just horde).

From what you list, on the ZX Spectrum front, I would suggest keeping the best "toastrack" as that's the ultimate true Sinclair version and it doesn't take much space. The QL is quite small too. If you have an Amiga A1200, that's probably the best (and most compact) version of that type. You don't say what ST types you have or the Beebs.

Slim down to one display, maybe a decent LCD TV with VGA & SCART input, and have a shelf unit or cupboard to keep the machines not in use in. That should keep things compact enough that it doesn't take over a whole room and it can cohabit with any other use.
Hi Stephen

Thanks for your reply. I have to admit the Sinclair machines hold the fondest memories for me.

The Atari’s are all STs, a 520STFM and 2 STE machines. The Beebs are all model B’s, one in the last packaging Acorn supplied with picture on the box - this machine is in lovely condition and has Econet fitted, with Econet manual. I also have a fully upgraded B from Retro Clinic with Raspberry Pi co-processor.

Retro-Mania
ROM Dongle

Post by Retro-Mania »

bwinkel67 wrote:I agree that you should keep the computers that you used most. However, the QL is likely more rare than many of the others you listed so you should probably keep it as you can more easily get the others back.
Hi there

Now this is the kind of advice I am looking for. I feel I will regret it if sell my QL and so this is going to remain safely in my collection :D

Retro-Mania
ROM Dongle

Post by Retro-Mania »

vanpeebles wrote:Just thin the herd out a bit, keep a couple of best speccies and BBCs same for amiga too.
Thanks vanpeebles! It seems that everyone is of the same opinion. I got carried away in getting multiples of the same machine in some cases, in the search for the nicest example. I just get so attached to these wonderful computers though! They just don’t make them like they used to and I feel they are all part of my heritage, from my first Sinclair, to using a Beeb at school, then first year of college (2nd year was a Prime mini where I learned Cobol) to the later ST and Amiga machines :)

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

bwinkel67 wrote:the QL is likely more rare than many of the others you listed
In fact, more QLs were produced than Amiga 1200 in PAL version.