Designing 3-D cases: vDrive & Q68

A place to discuss general QL issues.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Designing 3-D cases: vDrive & Q68

Post by bwinkel67 »

Oh, I see now, that green switch I thought was just a power light but you actually push it in. Yes, I would leave in ports for both QLNET and an on/off switch. For the power switch I'm thinking a black small rocker flip switch would go nice on the back.

I watch a lot of Over-The-Air TV so I'm going to sit it right next to the various LCD TV's with built-in tuners to see how it fares. I also still have an old Toshiba CRT with built-in DVD/VHS/USB that uses a set-top tuner, and that ought to tell me very quickly if the Q68 is throwing out too much RF interference. That Toshiba also gives a really crisp picture so sometimes I test composite signals on it as it tends to wash things out less than cheap LCD monitors.

If interference ends up begin too much I'd then go with the metal shielding paint. Are there other crazy ways to prevent it? I read that aluminum foil provides some level: "frequencies from 30 to 100 MHz, aluminum foil provides at least 85 dB of shielding effectiveness" but I'm not sure if that's adequate but maybe a quick homemade remedy.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bwinkel67 wrote:Oh, I see now, that green switch I thought was just a power light but you actually push it in.
Ah now I understand. It is my prototype, which has an illuminated switch. ;)
As far as I know, Derek uses switches without illumination.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

So I finally got some time at school to print the new vDrive case. Printing isn't simple as there are lots of decisions to make. If I print it the way I designed it, with the bottom and top of the case facing the plate, then it ends up having a glassy finish on top and bottom with the printers we have. So I flipped both parts upside-down to get the printer's texture. Problem is I didn't add any support on the inside so even though it looks good from the outside, the inside of the case has lots of loose strands. It's like a thatch hut in there.

I will need to re-print so I can actually measure mounting posts on the inside for the circuit board. Then I need to figure out how to add texture on the top and bottom to avoid that glassy look (so un-QL) and eventually add some QL styling like a grill on the left hand side. We do have one other printer, heavily used by students, that prints on a textured surface. So if I can squeeze some time in I can maybe print the top and bottom properly.

In any case (no pun intended), my first attempt at printing. Below are pics where I put the modified vDrive into it (remember that if you like this you'll have to do a simple mod to the vDrive board). The lid doesn't close, but not because the case is too small but because there is too much loose material on the underside of the top lid's lip. Still, pretty good start and I like the smaller footprint compared to the QL and ZX external cases. It's square right now but I may eventually add some beveling around the edges. At least I can see now what it may end up looking like once I perfect it...

Not sure how popular the vDrive is. There is certainly more interest in a Q68 case and I do want to eventually get to designing one and printing it but likely not until the spring since the printers become less available and I get busy with school myself. I like the vDrive, though I've learned that it is purposefully slow to trick the QL into thinking it's authentic hardware...kind of a cool mechanism but I was surprised the QL's connection to the microdrive was so intertwined that it needed it at a certain speed and couldn't just grab it quicker. I realize there are other SD interfaces that modify ROM and internal hardware but vDrive just plugs nicely into the side with no other changes.

P.S. Note that both sides have 4 indented circles for feet. As I said, I want it to be able to sit next to the QL or on top of it (i.e. you can flip the case on either side). The cable I got with my vDrive (for a few extra dollars) is perfect length for it though I have seen pics where others posted their vDrive setup and it seems slightly longer so don't know if they are all standard length.
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG
Last edited by bwinkel67 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

One more pic of it sitting upside-down on the QL (no rubber feet yet so that's why a paper napkin to protect from scratching).
IMG_0578.JPG
One other change to the design will be to close the bottom of the case a bit since now that I have it printed I have more than 3 mm of room for the connector. I had cut out that entire underside to make sure I could get the cable plugged in. So in a future iteration, when upside-down, you shouldn't see most of the circuit board.

Plus, it looks like I can make the case several more mm slimmer which is even better. I want it to be as slim as possible since it is for SD cards after all and those things are paper thin...it looks fat right now because the lid isn't closing. If you compare it to the external ZX case, which is smaller than the external QL case, the ZX case is still almost twice as high as mine, a bit wider and a bit longer, plus the styling fits the Spectrum more than the QL (maybe that's just personal preference). Of course mine doesn't have any styling now so I can't really talk :-/

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Here is vDrive design #2. Note that if you aren't that interested in the vDrive (or the modified vDrive that this case is being made for) then these designs and examples may not be that interesting. However, take note that I tried to recreate the QL theme on the lid and I'm learning as I'm going and once I'm done with this I'll start thinking about the Q68. I'm guessing there is way more interest in being able to print out a 3D case for it that brings back that nostalgic QL case. With design #2 I definitely captured that a bit so think I can create something that will fit in with the QL theme when doing it for the Q68. I was really happy I could create the grill, the lines and the embossing (the font needs to be switched).

Here are the cad drawings. I made it into three pieces. This way the case can be flipped upside down and still have the logo on top and the feet on the bottom. Why am I so concerned about an upside down case? Because this way, with the way the ribbon cable connects, it can sit on top of the microdrives (though the SD card will be upside down).

Also note that the case is too thick and wide....grrr. I miscalculated and accidentally made it bigger from the first design. So I can lose maybe 5 of the 31 mm of thickness and 2 of the 82 mm width (thickness I'm more focused on as I want it as thin as possible). The other thing is that I still need to design mount tabs into the shell that the lids get placed in so the circuit board can be secured. Also, I need to device a way for the lids to snap in place so they don't fall out...I have an idea of using a 1x1 mm thick slot and 1x1 mm hole on two of the edges of the lids...we will see, all trial and error. Trying to avoid external screws for this case since that might add size to get around the circuit board. Plus external screws never look that great.
QLvDrive.png
What three printed pieces look like:
IMG_0583.JPG
With circuit board:
IMG_0584.jpg
Enclosed right-side up...so just imagine it about 15% thinner:
IMG_0586.JPG
Enclosed upside down:
IMG_0587.JPG

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Printing my latest vDrive design. Added mount points and reduced final height to 26.5 mm by making the lids 2 mm since it's the middle portion (sides) that needs most of the strength...and this PLA stuff doesn't break or even sand easily (it does melt easily).
Mike's case v4 - middle.png
Mike's case v4 - bottom lid.png
Mike's case v4 - top lid.png
Will post pics when it's all together in both configurations.

...and, looks like my Q68 is arriving today. I'm very excited about that.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Finally got to start designing my new Q68 case now that I've had a chance to play with it. I'm really happy with my first draft as it captures the beautiful lines of the QL, leaves room for cooling and expansions, and overall protects the board:
Q68-setup.jpg
;) Nah, haven't started but cut up a container to protect it. It looks ugly but functional.

However, I did finalize my vDrive design. I had one or two tweaks to better align the circuit board but have been banned form our 3-D printers while school is in session. I'm pretty sure moving screw holes 1/2 mm will align better but not mess the fit of the case up. Here are the STL files in case anyone wants to give it a go (remember, it requires an easy vDrive circuit board mod).
vDrive-slim-case.zip
(32.77 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Disassembled case since you can configure it one of two ways:
vDrive-case-disassembled.jpg
Normal side up. It's about 1/3rd of the size of the original microdrive case for the QL and less than 1/2 the size of the ZX microdrive case (my aim was for thinner/smaller footprint).
vDrive-case-normal.jpg
Upside down. My preferred configuration since it can sit right on top of the old microdrives taking up less space for stuff next to your QL, i.e. makes it keyboard sized again -- bonus, no wiggling of cables when you move the QL (ala ZX81) having weird behavior with ribbon connections.
vDrive-case-upsidedown.jpg

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Didn't want to start a new topic...saw this Nostalgia Nerd video on computer case colors...QL is mentioned as part of the transition from beige to black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_GeGkdfns0

This video got me thinking again on designing a Q68 case.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Looks very nice, good little project there :)

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

bwinkel67 wrote:This video got me thinking again on designing a Q68 case.
Hear, hear ;)